razor hang

Markus Falb

Oct 8, 2012, 12:30:07 PM10/8/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I was playing with razor today. But I am not going far.

ipxe is downloading the microkernel but stays at 98%
On the server side I see

/opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w boot default
'{"hw_id":"00:50:56:2e:c4:50_______","dhcp_mac":"01-00-50-56-2e-c4-50"}'
/opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w image path mk kernel
{"http_err_code":200,"errcode":0,"response":"/opt/razor/Razor/image/mk/687EqtppQJQPbgeirdhZy4/boot/vmlinuz","command":null,"result":"Ok","resource":"ProjectRazor::Slice::Image"}

This suggests that the download of the microkernel finished
successfully. If so, why doesnt the microkernel do something? Or did it
and I only don't know how to tell?

Maybe I am missing something. I installed the server side (32bit) the
non puppet way, I added a microkernel, I configured dhcp and tftp.

The only razor thing I did was an razor image add -t mk -p ...
Not sure what to do next.
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

signature.asc

Daniel Pittman

Oct 9, 2012, 12:39:31 PM10/9/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, marku...@fasel.at
On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:30:37 AM UTC-7, Markus Falb wrote:

I was playing with razor today. But I am not going far.

ipxe is downloading the microkernel but stays at 98%
On the server side I see

/opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w boot default
'{"hw_id":"00:50:56:2e:c4:50_______","dhcp_mac":"01-00-50-56-2e-c4-50"}'
/opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w image path  mk kernel
{"http_err_code":200,"errcode":0,"response":"/opt/razor/Razor/image/mk/687EqtppQJQPbgeirdhZy4/boot/vmlinuz","command":null,"result":"Ok","resource":"ProjectRazor::Slice::Image"}

This suggests that the download of the microkernel finished
successfully. If so, why doesnt the microkernel do something? Or did it
and I only don't know how to tell?

The iPXE progress meter is a bit special, in the classic "run to 99 percent, sit there forever" sense, but you are not wrong: this is not doing the right thing.

The client should download the kernel, then download an initrd, and then boot a full Linux environment and run in it.  You should see the usual (verbose) Linux boot sequence progress through.

Maybe I am missing something. I installed the server side (32bit) the
non puppet way, I added a microkernel, I configured dhcp and tftp.

The only razor thing I did was an razor image add -t mk -p ...
Not sure what to do next.

Sounds like you need to figure out what is going on at that point: is data still being sent to the client?  tcpdump is probably the tool I would reach for, to verify that, but http://ipxe.org/howto/pcap documents it well.

You might also try a debug build of iPXE to see more of what is happening in their HTTP client; see http://ipxe.org/download#debug_builds for details, but that does require building your own iPXE image.

Markus Falb

Oct 11, 2012, 8:34:21 AM10/11/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On 9.10.2012 18:39, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:30:37 AM UTC-7, Markus Falb wrote:
>

>> I was playing with razor today. But I am not going far.
>>
>> ipxe is downloading the microkernel but stays at 98%
>> On the server side I see
>>
>> /opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w boot default
>> '{"hw_id":"00:50:56:2e:c4:50_______","dhcp_mac":"01-00-50-56-2e-c4-50"}'
>> /opt/razor/Razor/bin/razor -w image path mk kernel
>> {"http_err_code":200,"errcode":0,"response":"/opt/razor/Razor/image/mk/687EqtppQJQPbgeirdhZy4/boot/vmlinuz","command":null,"result":"Ok","resource":"ProjectRazor::Slice::Image"}
>>

>> This suggests that the download of the microkernel finished
>> successfully. If so, why doesnt the microkernel do something? Or did it
>> and I only don't know how to tell?
>>

> The iPXE progress meter is a bit special, in the classic "run to 99
> percent, sit there forever" sense, but you are not wrong: this is not doing
> the right thing.
>
> The client should download the kernel, then download an initrd, and then
> boot a full Linux environment and run in it. You should see the usual
> (verbose) Linux boot sequence progress through.

well, my razor test server is a virtualbox guest bridged to the lan.
The virtual host box is connected by wire.

My initial test client was a vmware guest on my laptop which is
connected per wlan.

I tried a virtualbox guest instead on my laptop with similar experience.
It downloaded the kernel but hangs at the initrd.

i tried a virtualbox guest on the same host as the razor server is and
the kernel boots and registers with razor.

So I got something to work with at least, in a limited scope for now,
though.

Thank You, hoping that the puppet mailing list is the appropiate media
for questions about razor.
signature.asc

Daniel Pittman

Oct 11, 2012, 12:02:33 PM10/11/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, marku...@fasel.at
Hrm.  That seems to point fairly squarely to some oddity at the network layer: sending those files is pretty close to static file serving.  If you could capture a packet trace to figure out what was happening that would be great.

Thank You, hoping that the puppet mailing list is the appropiate media
for questions about razor.

Yes, it is - no problems there. :)

--
Daniel Pittman

Markus Falb

Nov 18, 2012, 5:50:19 PM11/18/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On 11.10.2012 18:02, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:34:47 AM UTC-7, Markus Falb wrote:

>> I tried a virtualbox guest instead on my laptop with similar experience.
>> It downloaded the kernel but hangs at the initrd.

> Hrm. That seems to point fairly squarely to some oddity at the network
> layer: sending those files is pretty close to static file serving. If you
> could capture a packet trace to figure out what was happening that would be
> great.

I found out that with virtualbox I can change the network adapter. There
are pcnet or intel or virtio adapter types.

With pcnet devices the problem persists.

However, with intel or virtio adapters the microkernel boots and
registers with the server.

I had no luck with vmware, wireless or not, but I did not investigate
how to change network adapter or if it is possible.

I found https://github.com/puppetlabs/Razor/issues/194
It is stated there that razor will not support virtual clients bridged
to wireless lans. I have to tell that with my problem wired or wireless
did not matter.
signature.asc

Denmat

Jan 7, 2013, 4:27:32 PM1/7/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's a bit hard to answer your problem because your issues appear more complex than you have described.

For the record I've used the PuppetLab module on github to install Razor previously and it works. It does require access to the Internet however. That leads me to the question, what is stopping you from accessing the Internet on your razor server?

You can, like I think you've described, set up tftp and dhcpd yourself and it sounds like your razor server is working ok.

The client you are trying to install on to will require no Internet connection (unless you are accessing the Internet during your build).

To build your client you need to add a model, policy and possibly a broker to your razor server (there are several good examples on how to do this on the web).  From that your node will know what to do once it is discovered.

You can see if your node is discovered using $ razor node

The problem in your original post does sound familiar. How much memory are you giving to the client?

Sorry for a scatter gun answer but now running out of time until my bus stop.

HTH
Den

On 08/01/2013, at 0:15, hrajanga...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
I tried to install razor in Centos 5 which is a puppet master server. I have configured proxy setting on my machine but still not able to ping any ip outside my domain.
Please help me with two things:
1. What are the steps to configure internet on centos 5( I am sorry , I know it is a razor group)?
2. Is there any other way round to install razor on puppet whitout the internnet connection?

regard, Harshit

hrajanga...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2013, 12:38:22 AM1/8/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, marku...@fasel.at
hi,
I am allowed to access internet only through my office proxy. M puppet master got the IP from my office dhcp only so i can not configure any other dhcp in the network.
I used Centos5 as my OS for puppet master. I changed the proxy settings and then when i executed the command "# puppetpuppet module install puppetlabs/razor --version 0.3.0" I got the error stating "Could not find release information for this module (puppetlabs/razor) (HTTP 407)" .
I downloaded the razor module from forge.puppetlabs.com as well but I am not able to install it. I can not find the specified file which is to be executed.

So, my problem still remains the same. I am not able to install razor. Can you please brief me with the steps and configurations you followed while installing razor on you puppet machine.?

regards!!
harshit rajan garg