Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

vioilly

ongelezen,
15 nov 2012, 09:47:2915-11-2012
aan puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am just rolling out a new puppet deployment. Which version should i go for, 2.7 or 3.1? I am looking to use the open source version.

Many thanks,
Oli

llowder

ongelezen,
15 nov 2012, 09:56:4115-11-2012

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:47:29 AM UTC-6, vioilly wrote:
Hi,

I am just rolling out a new puppet deployment. Which version should i go for, 2.7 or 3.1? I am looking to use the open source version.

If you plan on using an ENC, specifically TheForeman, or a lot of modules from the Puppet Forge, you might want to start with 2.7

That being said, Foreman is very close to having Puppet 3 support working, and more and more modules on the Forge are being made 3.0 compatible every day.

Puppet 2.7 is currently on 2.7.19 with 2.7.20 in RCs, and Puppet 3 is at 3.0.1, so it is still a little rough around the edges, but the fact that hiera is integrated and it has the databindings is one very nice feature of 3.0.x. It's also considerably faster.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I am sure others will weigh in as well, but hope this helps.

Many thanks,
Oli

Ohad Levy

ongelezen,
16 nov 2012, 02:34:0816-11-2012
aan Puppet Users
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM, llowder <llow...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:47:29 AM UTC-6, vioilly wrote:
Hi,

I am just rolling out a new puppet deployment. Which version should i go for, 2.7 or 3.1? I am looking to use the open source version.

If you plan on using an ENC, specifically TheForeman, or a lot of modules from the Puppet Forge, you might want to start with 2.7

That being said, Foreman is very close to having Puppet 3 support working, and more and more modules on the Forge are being made 3.0 compatible every day.

For the record, Puppet 3 support was added to foreman a couple of days ago.

Ohad

Puppet 2.7 is currently on 2.7.19 with 2.7.20 in RCs, and Puppet 3 is at 3.0.1, so it is still a little rough around the edges, but the fact that hiera is integrated and it has the databindings is one very nice feature of 3.0.x. It's also considerably faster.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I am sure others will weigh in as well, but hope this helps.

Many thanks,
Oli

Thomas Bendler

ongelezen,
16 nov 2012, 03:10:3216-11-2012
aan puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ohad,

2012/11/16 Ohad Levy <ohad...@gmail.com>
[...]
For the record, Puppet 3 support was added to foreman a couple of days ago.
[...]

do you know when the puppet 3 support will be available in the test RPMs? I've updated to the current test RPMs yesterday but still had to patch some files in foreman and foreman-proxy to get it working with Puppet 3.

Regards, Thomas
--
Linux ... enjoy the ride!

vioilly

ongelezen,
16 nov 2012, 04:13:2016-11-2012
aan puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. I'm going to give 3.0.1 a go. That fact about the performance improvement is the killer. Worth a few rough edges.

Oli
--

Ohad Levy

ongelezen,
17 nov 2012, 00:20:1817-11-2012
aan Puppet Users
On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Thomas Bendler <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ohad,

2012/11/16 Ohad Levy <ohad...@gmail.com>
[...]
For the record, Puppet 3 support was added to foreman a couple of days ago.
[...]

do you know when the puppet 3 support will be available in the test RPMs? I've updated to the current test RPMs yesterday but still had to patch some files in foreman and foreman-proxy to get it working with Puppet 3.

You would need the nightly rpms, hopefully we'll get a RC soon.

Ohad

Regards, Thomas
--
Linux ... enjoy the ride!

David Schmitt

ongelezen,
19 nov 2012, 05:21:3419-11-2012
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 07:20:18 +0200, Ohad Levy <ohad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Thomas Bendler
> <thomas....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Ohad,
>>
>> 2012/11/16 Ohad Levy <ohad...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> [...]
>>> For the record, Puppet 3 support was added to foreman a couple of days
>>> ago.
>>> [...]
>>>

>> do you know when the puppet 3 support will be available in the test
RPMs?
>> I've updated to the current test RPMs yesterday but still had to patch
>> some
>> files in foreman and foreman-proxy to get it working with Puppet 3.
>>

> You would need the nightly rpms, hopefully we'll get a RC soon.

Err, the puppet 3 support has not yet landed in the nightly RPMs. I just
tried.

http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/repository/revisions/e81bf0573125fa569e35f991df451cb9e4e8a948/diff
is missing in

> bash-4.1$ rpm -qa | grep foreman
> foreman-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
> foreman-postgresql-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
> foreman-proxy-1.0.0-3.20121022.el6.noarch

> [root@viepclvx-e15 foreman]# grep PUPPETVERSION
/usr/share/foreman/lib/foreman/default_settings/loader.rb
> [root@viepclvx-e15 foreman]#

Best Regards, David

David Schmitt

ongelezen,
19 nov 2012, 06:16:1819-11-2012
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:21:34 +0100, David Schmitt <da...@dasz.at> wrote:
>> bash-4.1$ rpm -qa | grep foreman
>> foreman-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
>> foreman-postgresql-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
>> foreman-proxy-1.0.0-3.20121022.el6.noarch

That I didn't notice, is that those are from 2012-10-22, which is not
quite nightly. Seems like the repo at
http://yum.theforeman.org/nightly/el6/x86_64/?C=M;O=D has stopped updating?

Best Regards, David

Ohad Levy

ongelezen,
22 nov 2012, 04:53:2322-11-2012
aan Puppet Users
Sorry about that, jmontleon fixed that.

Best Regards, David

David Schmitt

ongelezen,
22 nov 2012, 04:54:2622-11-2012
On 22.11.2012 10:53, Ohad Levy wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 <tel:2012> at 1:16 PM, David Schmitt <da...@dasz.at
> <mailto:da...@dasz.at>> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 <tel:2012> 11:21:34 +0100, David Schmitt
> <da...@dasz.at <mailto:da...@dasz.at>> wrote:
> >> bash-4.1$ rpm -qa | grep foreman
> >> foreman-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
> >> foreman-postgresql-1.0.1-4.20121022.el6.noarch
> >> foreman-proxy-1.0.0-3.20121022.el6.noarch
>

> That I didn't notice, is that those are from 2012-10-22, which is not
> quite nightly. Seems like the repo at
> http://yum.theforeman.org/nightly/el6/x86_64/?C=M;O=D has stopped
> updating?
>

> Sorry about that, jmontleon fixed that.

no worries, looking forward to checking out the new stuff!

Best Regards, David

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen