BEST : Recent debate

Vijay Patil

May 25, 2018, 4:23:08 AM5/25/18
to PTTF
Bachi Karkaria's article :
forces-like-all-public-transport/

Nagarkar wrote: “Almost a year ago, the population … rose to approximately 23 million. And that is precisely when you decided to declare that BEST had become an unbearable burden on the Mumbai municipality. (So) you were once again going to take drastic measures like cancelling many routes and decimating the number of BEST buses … You declared that like many … in the world, the Mumbai municipality too would refuse to subsidise public transport. In short, you would not rest until you had completely destroyed this extraordinary institution, (once) synonymous with Mumbai ….

“What could an ordinary citizen like me say except, ‘Wow, Mr Mehta. Hats off to you.’ Why not come clean and just say you intend to sublet the entire BEST transport franchise to private operators despite the fact that commuters in every Indian city which has chosen this option suffer ghastly hardships?”

Ajoy Mehta promptly responded as openly. He claimed that BEST (which is also the main electricity supplier to the island city) “in the past four years alone transferred Rs 3,000 crore from” this division leaving no money “to upgrade the electrical infrastructure”. He presented the pros of wet-leasing to private operators and the cons of low demand, inflated wage bills and overstaffing.

Nagarkar's letter can be found at :

Sudhir Badami 2017

May 25, 2018, 9:19:31 AM5/25/18
to PTTF General
My articles on  BEST & Mobility

Some of you might find this interesting.
Like the recent Long March or the Rail Roko or the Silent March should not the Commuters in Mumbai City and Metropolitan Mumbai agitate. I hope I have reasoned out convincingly in my article https://t.co/4ReleVc7ge
@Dev_Fadnavis @narendramodi @PiyushGoyal @nitin_gadkari

Your viewpoint would be appreciated.

20180505 MM

Please have a look at "Innovative Approach to Resurrect BEST" in two parts published on Moneylife Web on 6 & 7 April 2017.

Article published on 23 June 2015 on Scroll: https://scroll.in/author/2346

For my letter to CM 2015:

Regards

Sudhir Badami