Article by Rajendra Ravi "सम और विषम से आगे" in Janasatta dated 18 January 2016

Sujit Patwardhan

Jan 19, 2016, 12:01:01 PM1/19/16
to PTTF General

Sharing an article by Rajendra Ravi on the Odd and Even Scheme in Delhi.

Do read...am attaching the PDF version as well as the JPG file
--
Sujit

Parisar

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardh...@gmail.com
su...@parisar.org
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Behance Page: https://www.behance.net/mudraweb
Rajendra Ravi on Odd Even Scheme_Jansatta.pdf
Odd-Even - Ravi - JanSatta - 18 Jan 2016.jpg

Anil Risbud

Jan 19, 2016, 12:41:52 PM1/19/16
to PTTF General
thanks, Sujit! Learnt a few new things....

More on the great London smog can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog . Apparently, the main culprit was coal, though vehicle emissions were also involved. The important thing is that the event may have led to a chain of policy changes, however they took quite long to take effect. Not sure if we have that luxury today.

Did not find an analytical commentary on odd/even scheme. Not having travelled recently across Delhi, not sure to what extent the scheme will succeed. It could, only if there is a public transport alternative enough to absorb the car-commuters on alternate days, a smart car-pooling app could also come to the rescue... though some people will begin to use Ola (etc) cabs or buy another car !!! Let us wait and watch...

The reported decisions of AAP govt to break a BRT corridor and building of a signal-less flyover for cars appear to be retrograde, though not surprising.

The comments on cycle tracks and insufficient no of buses are equally applicable to Pune (i.e. too much talk and no change due to whatever reasons) are significant - I repeat my earlier conclusion, that we have collectively failed in making such changes happen by convincing our leaders, and/or via awareness campaigns for the public, by not thinking of smart alternatives like mini-buses or shared taxi routes, while perhaps also failing to counter car/two-wheeler lobbies (users and manufacturers).....

However, no preaching is going to dissuade a 2/4 wheeler owner, if there is no respectable alternative *planned and executed* in time. For this, modelling via use of scenario based simulation software is a must. No govt. can claim that the growth of Hinjewadi IT park (or of Kharadi/Kalyaninagar area) or Warje/Sinhagad road that would give rise to so many more unidirectional commutes,  was unplanned/unforeseen and if  leadership was educated about and alerted of the potential traffic snarl scenarios using the most rudimentary pphpd calculations, a couple of metro routes could easily have been in operation across the city by now...

p.s. Also learnt (after looking up an online Hindi dictionary) that "Samaapt" in Hindi also means "accomplished" in addition to the usual "finished"... Reminded me of the disagreement between Marathi and Hindi over the meaning of Abhimaan and Garv :)

best regards,

Anil Risbud