Draft requirements document for Design Contest for open sourced Bus Routes Management System for PMPML

Nikhil VJ

Jul 5, 2015, 11:47:25 AM7/5/15
to Yatish Devadiga, Amol Deshpande, Bilwa Deo, Rohan Nighojkar, Craig Dsouza, Pavan Iyengar, datameet, pttfgen
Hi Friends,

Kindly take a look at this and suggest if you have any ideas. I'll be pitching it to PMPML over the next few days.

The subject line is quite long, here it is again:

Draft requirements document for Design Contest for open sourced Bus Routes Management System for PMPML

PS: In case the attachment got lost on the way, you can get it online here:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FuLHS84uHuxQEsEquiWxcuiUdkv7Z8l29ImsYay5SHc/edit?usp=sharing

--
Cheers,
Nikhil

Bus Route Information Management System.pptx

Vijay Patil

Jul 5, 2015, 1:06:43 PM7/5/15
to pttfgen
Looks good to me !

Vijay Patil

Nikhil VJ

Jul 7, 2015, 3:22:58 AM7/7/15
to datameet, Yatish Devadiga, Amol Deshpande, Bilwa Deo, Rohan Nighojkar, Craig Dsouza, Pavan Iyengar, pttfgen, Suvajit Sengupta, srinivas kodali, Thejesh G N, Tejas Pande
Hi Nisha, Srinivas,

Thanks.. the idea started out with engaging a college's whole computer engineering department or a prof and his/her students for a full-fledged internship/mou project that extends over at least 3 months. And then I thought it would be better to throw the challenge out in the open instead of locking-in dependency... if the bus authority is the one issuing the challenge then it'll probably carry through and get taken up seriously. Professors usually complain about not having meaty projects for their students' internships. So let's meet that demand.

So right now this is how I envision a possible contest timeline (I'm thinking to much ahead but here it is anyway):
1. Announcement with open sharing of data and design requirements (so really kicking it off with all resources made available)
2. Taking in registrations from teams
3. Forming an online community of all participating teams and airing out all doubts, clarifications etc there
4. Setting periodic "checkpoints" of select features that each team must achieve and showcase or else be dropped from the competition. (like achieving map display, achieving stops-editing, on-map editing, GTFS conversion, etc)
5. Final lap of 1 month to get everything together, and have to put up fully functional prototype loaded with data for public review by a set deadline.
6. Some surprises that I don't want to reveal right now, they'll work only if kept secret.

And here's how I'm thinking of bringing the aspects of collaboration in :
Teams can contact each other and merge into one, with no roll-back possibility. This will be easily done IF we haven't kept any prize money that needs to be split. This could lead to, say, a joint solution created by 2 or 3 colleges working together.

I don't care if it doesn't work out at the end.. something of this sort will produce something or the other that's useful. After all, when you want to hit a target, you need to fire a few degrees upward to account for gravity.

What I've visualized in the ppt is basically a visualization of the needs that the folks at PMPML have been telling us again and again over the last few months. 2 weeks back the newly appointed CMD also told us that they desperately need this kind of thing, and so I decided to flesh out the requirements so we have something detailed to go with.

This would happen at the output end of an ongoing effort to (finally!) standardize the data that they have, bringing it to a format that is both human and machine compatible (and PMPML-approved.. their consent and commitment is critical). So it's taking shape here, please see the "swargate" sheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ppFJeb7Dnj6-1yvniH2Q6exQFzK6fM0wsZNn4XZIvkI

Base data prepared by an org named ITDP, this data is a few years old but is more recent that the GTFS file we have, and has had ground-truthing and stops rationalization done. So the plan is to populate this, and then guide the PMPML's transport managers through editing and updating it, and simultaneously we might launch the contest.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Nisha Thompson <ni...@datameet.org> wrote:
Hey

Wow! This is really interesting.  I've added our transport committee (Suvajit, Srinivas, and Tejas) to the mail.

Where did this come from? Is this something Pune is interested in hosting? Or you are asking them to?

I would suggest for contests to look at a good example of working with government sites - Design for America - https://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2010/05/26/design-america-winners/

I would also say that doing the whole system as a contest is a lot of work. Would they have to design the entire web interface or just parts of it?

Nisa

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Nisha Thompson
DataMeet.org
skype: nishaqt
mobile: 962-061-2245
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Sarang Mahajan

Jul 7, 2015, 7:38:10 AM7/7/15
to ptt...@googlegroups.com, datameet, Yatish Devadiga, Amol Deshpande, Bilwa Deo, Rohan Nighojkar, Craig Dsouza, Pavan Iyengar, Suvajit Sengupta, srinivas kodali, Thejesh G N, Tejas Pande
Dear Nikhil,
A similar exercise was conducted by Mumbai Environmental Social Network for the Bus route mapping of BEST buses. It was not a competition but a project for MMRDA. It included pasting of maps on the bus stops which contain related information of all the routes passing through that stop. It has been a successful and recognised project by MESN. I am attaching a photo for your reference. It also won the VOLVO sustainable mobility award!
Please let me know if any such method can be incorporated.

Regards,
Sarang K. Mahajan

Mobile: +91 9011954500

BEST map.jpg