setStyle after clonePosition not working

kstubs

Nov 13, 2012, 1:07:12 AM11/13/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
After I invoke clonePosition on an element, then setStyle is not working.  Is this expected behavior?

Karl..

petrob

Nov 14, 2012, 8:23:47 AM11/14/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
The clone position method and setting style properties on an element have nothing to do with each -other.
Could you:

use firebug to place break points in your code to see the values of your variables before / on / after using these methods!
if these are all right, provide a minimal-case code snippet that represents the problem
not expect other people to do all the job for you..

kstubs

Nov 15, 2012, 9:45:33 AM11/15/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
> if these are all right, provide a minimal-case code snippet that represents the problem
> not expect other people to do all the job for you..

I was merely looking for verification on the behavior of the two methods in code, and wondering if anyone else had experienced similar.
Man I hate forum bashing.

At any rate: I'll try and get a sample together.

petrob

Nov 16, 2012, 4:18:56 AM11/16/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Ok.Yes, I have made mistakes in my code that caused Prototype methods not to work. Prototype methods do not work on unextended elements - if you lose the reference to your element in a variable, for whatever reason-, if you try to call element methods on non-elements, or you are calling an element method with a typo in the argument, for instance. Have you checked all these by placing break points in firebug at some critical points in your code? Do you get any error messages in the console? Have you tried setting some style properties on your element directly through the native style declaration object? I would do this latter one first!
There are always people here to help beginners (in Prototype!)  out if they see an effort.

kstubs

Nov 26, 2012, 11:12:53 AM11/26/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the follow up petrob.  I am not new to Prototype, I've been using if for 3-4 years now.
Yes, I have stepped through the code, have invoked setStyle from the console, etc.. to no evail.
This particular issue has slipped away a bit, when it comes around again and is high priority I will put together that sample code and investigate further.

Karl..