Issue 352 in protobuf: ENH: Add configure option to disable Java / Python / C++

prot...@googlecode.com

Dec 8, 2011, 12:15:20 PM12/8/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 352 by mlave...@gmail.com: ENH: Add configure option to disable
Java / Python / C++

This is an enhancement request. There doesn't appear to be a way to
selectively disable language targets. For example, if I'm only interested
in using protobuf for C++, it appears that I'm still obliged to build in
support for Python and Java. This adds significant time to builds from
scratch. There should be an option to disable support for languages that
are not being targeted in order to speed up build times.

Tom Swirly

Dec 10, 2011, 1:48:22 PM12/10/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com, codesite...@google.com
For my C++-only protocol buffers, I use

  protoc --ccp_out=OUT_DIRECTORY ...

and that seems to only build .pb.h and .pb.cc for me anyway!

prot...@googlecode.com

May 17, 2012, 12:37:37 PM5/17/12
to prot...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 352 by ryandani...@gmail.com: ENH: Add configure option
I am also looking for this option. This adds significant time to my build,
so it'd be nice to remove Java/Python from the build.

prot...@googlecode.com

Dec 5, 2012, 2:23:28 AM12/5/12
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 352 by liu...@google.com: ENH: Add configure option to
You only need to build the protoc which supports the three languages. The
runtime and tests of other languages are independent and won't be build.

We don't have a plan to extract python and java protoc generators, at least
in the near future.