prosody-modules migration to github

Guilhem Lettron

May 28, 2015, 10:52:31 AM5/28/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com, proso...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

As you should know, code.google.com shutdown pretty soon.
I begin to work on a migration to github.
I also use this migration to split all modules in their own repository.

You can find the resulting work here https://github.com/prosody-modules
I manage to keep all history for all modules.

I'm open to any suggestion and don't hesitate to ping me for being able to push on it :)

Thanks,

Guilhem Lettron

Matthew Wild

May 28, 2015, 11:11:40 AM5/28/15
to Prosody IM Developers Group, prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guilhem,

On 28 May 2015 at 15:52, Guilhem Lettron <gui...@lettron.fr> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you should know, code.google.com shutdown pretty soon.
> I begin to work on a migration to github.
> I also use this migration to split all modules in their own repository.
>
> You can find the resulting work here https://github.com/prosody-modules
> I manage to keep all history for all modules.

I see you put some effort into this, and if it helps someone, that's great!

However I just want to make it clear that this move is not an official
move of the project.

I set up prosody-modules as a place for people to collaborate openly,
experiment with cool ideas, - an open playground. So I have always
tried to have minimal "control" over it, aside from allowing new
contributors access when they asked (I have never said no). Also we
have never made promises to review code in prosody-modules, nor allow
expectations of code quality, support, etc. for all the modules in it,
as it is not "official" code.

However I intend, for now, to continue having one single repository
where people can easily pull all modules from. This does not mean
people cannot develop and host modules on Github (or elsewhere), it is
just an issue of discovery for users (there are currently a few nice
Prosody modules on Github that not many people know about, because of
this issue).

In the long term, we are working on a new section of the site where
all core and community modules and their documentation can be found,
regardless of where they are hosted or distributed.

But until that is ready, I am not clear what advantages having these
modules on Github brings. Google Code is still working fine, and my
contributions will continue there right now.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Matthew

quantumriff

May 28, 2015, 2:14:57 PM5/28/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com, prosod...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 10:11:40 AM UTC-5, Matthew Wild wrote:
Hi Guilhem,

<snip>

But until that is ready, I am not clear what advantages having these
modules on Github brings. Google Code is still working fine, and my
contributions will continue there right now.

I think its more being proactive, since google code goes into Read Only mode on Aug 24th.

Guilhem Lettron

May 28, 2015, 6:16:15 PM5/28/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com, prosod...@googlegroups.com
Matthew I totally agree with your vision, and github migration can be a good start to improve it:
* Without speaking about its shutdown, google code isn't a popular place (Hg even further)
* I see only ~35 contributors to prosody-modules... it's really low regarding prosody popularity
* Single repo isn't simple to share / find a project (for example, you can't list all directory in web interface!)
* There is too few README for modules, atomic repository encourage it
* Single repository make deployment really hard. I'm working on chef cookbook, and I have to do my own repositories on past to being able to deploy servers.

ldap module is a good example of what I'm talking, there is one on prosody-module, other patches on mailing-list and some other on random repositories. No one is clearly production ready with a correct documentation.

I don't see "prosody-modules" as a seal of quality. Only a good place to share... like pypi, rubygem etc.

But as Brian say.... in September google code will be down, we have to deal with it :)

Simon Hill

May 28, 2015, 6:45:27 PM5/28/15
to prosod...@googlegroups.com, proso...@googlegroups.com
@Matthew I did a little poll around the office. I am a huge worshipful fan of Prosody and its development community, but speaking (superficially) for the Bay Area developer crowd I roll with who should know about and use Prosody, anything on code.google has a really stale smell. It would greatly improve the Prosody development "brand" to get off code.google.com. Just my two cents.

Unleash your inner self.

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

May 28, 2015, 11:38:17 PM5/28/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting a strange deja-vú that I've already posted this, but there's no
evidence supporting this, so:

I just wanted to chime in and mention GitLab. It's a very mature open source
GitHub clone. Seeing as how prosody is FLOSS, I'm assuming that the author(s)
(and many users) care about this sort of thing.

For open source projects, there's free hosting[1], or you can host it yourself
(I don't think there's interest in this for prosody). There's also some
companies that set up a private instance for those interested, but I don't
think that makes any sense here.

[1]: https://gitlab.com/

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

Goffi

May 29, 2015, 4:05:13 AM5/29/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com
G'day,

As a recent modules developer, I just want to say that I'm totally
against a github move: I have no account there and will not have.

Of course project manage its code the way it wants, but please let the
ability for people to contribute without github account, the way as it
is possible today without google account.

Oh, and I'm really happy with hg...

Thanks :)
Goffi

Victor Seva

May 29, 2015, 4:52:35 AM5/29/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com
On 05/29/2015 10:04 AM, Goffi wrote:
> G'day,
>
> As a recent modules developer, I just want to say that I'm totally
> against a github move: I have no account there and will not have.

You don't need a github account to contribute. It is easier if you have,
but you can always send patches by email
and amend them easily wit git.

> Of course project manage its code the way it wants, but please let the
> ability for people to contribute without github account, the way as it
> is possible today without google account.

A will point a thread about github on Debian devel mailing list [0]

> Oh, and I'm really happy with hg...

Glad to hear but lets face it git is more widely use.
I would say that from my experience with kamailio project, contributions
increased when we moved to github.

Cheers,
Victor

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/04/msg00230.html

signature.asc

Matthew Wild

May 29, 2015, 5:46:25 AM5/29/15
On 29 May 2015 at 04:38, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera <hu...@barrera.io> wrote:
> On 2015-05-28 14:52, Guilhem Lettron wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As you should know, code.google.com shutdown pretty soon.
>> I begin to work on a migration to github.
>> I also use this migration to split all modules in their own repository.
>>
>> You can find the resulting work here https://github.com/prosody-modules
>> I manage to keep all history for all modules.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestion and don't hesitate to ping me for being able to
>> push on it :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Guilhem Lettron
>>

> I'm getting a strange deja-vú that I've already posted this, but there's no
> evidence supporting this, so:
>
> I just wanted to chime in and mention GitLab. It's a very mature open source
> GitHub clone. Seeing as how prosody is FLOSS, I'm assuming that the author(s)
> (and many users) care about this sort of thing.

We do, thanks.

However the issue still remains that we don't use git.

Is the expectation for the Prosody core team to move the project to a
VCS system that none of them like? I fail to see how that will help us
feel happier or to be more productive.

> For open source projects, there's free hosting[1], or you can host it yourself
> (I don't think there's interest in this for prosody). There's also some
> companies that set up a private instance for those interested, but I don't
> think that makes any sense here.

We currently host (almost) everything ourselves, and intend to
continue doing so.

The only things we don't host ourselves is 1) our issue tracker,
because Google Code's is one of the best I've ever used, and 2)
prosody-modules... because I wanted that to be clearly separated from
the main project, and have more of a community playground aspect to
it.

And please let's *not* start debating what the best issue tracker is
:) We've done our homework, believe me.

Regards,
Matthew

Matthew Wild

May 29, 2015, 6:10:13 AM5/29/15
On 29 May 2015 at 09:52, Victor Seva <vs...@sipwise.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2015 10:04 AM, Goffi wrote:
>> G'day,
>>
>> As a recent modules developer, I just want to say that I'm totally
>> against a github move: I have no account there and will not have.
>
> You don't need a github account to contribute. It is easier if you have,
> but you can always send patches by email
> and amend them easily wit git.
>
>> Of course project manage its code the way it wants, but please let the
>> ability for people to contribute without github account, the way as it
>> is possible today without google account.
>
> A will point a thread about github on Debian devel mailing list [0]
>
>> Oh, and I'm really happy with hg...
>
> Glad to hear but lets face it git is more widely use.

I'm not picking on you, it's just your post was the most recent one to
bring up the popularity of git.

I'm not interested in spending our time and resources moving the
project to whatever VCS and hosting platform is currently trending.
Back when Prosody started, Github was less than 6 months old, and most
people would have had no clue what it was. Git was not especially
popular back then either. The package 'git' on Debian didn't even
install the VCS, but some unrelated GNU utility.

I've been developing software long enough to know that things rise and
fall. Today it's Github, tomorrow... something else. We're going to
stay working with what we're happy and comfortable with. If there are
firm technical reasons to move, fine, but there aren't. I know some
projects that have moved VCS three times in three years, and that's
nothing but disruptive.

Finally, on the issue of contributions. Firstly I know of projects
that have moved to Github and had almost no extra contributions. It's
not a magic wand. Secondly, I think if someone is actually serious
about contributing, our choice of VCS will not stop them. So called
"drive-by" contributions are not the kind of thing I'm interested in
for our core project.

I appreciate everyone putting their thoughts forward here, but the
graveyards of the internet are littered with this kind of thread.
Everyone has their personal preferences, and sadly we can't satisfy
all of them all of the time. I personally don't have anything more to
say on the matter, so unless someone has something substantially new
to contribute I'd recommend we just let this thread go.

If you still feel like you need to change our minds about something,
or if you have any questions, we're always available to email directly
at devel...@prosody.im without having to drag hundreds of other
people into the debate.

Regards,
Matthew

Scott White

Dec 8, 2015, 5:38:40 PM12/8/15
to prosody-dev
Hello,

I am a developer looking for a replacement chat server (we currently use OpenFire).
Prosody looks promising and pretty powerful.

I just wanted to offer my comments:
-Moving to a better supported source repo (Github or Bitbucket with Hg support) would make the product *look* more viable
-Better documentation on a tool like readthedocs.org would help (alot)
  (for example: I found a couple of mistakes following the documentation that I would have done a pull request to fix if you used readthedocs and either of the above repos)

Thanks for working on the project.

Scott

Matthew Wild

Dec 8, 2015, 6:04:20 PM12/8/15
to Prosody IM Developers Group
Hi Scott,

On 8 December 2015 at 22:28, Scott White <sww...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a developer looking for a replacement chat server (we currently use
> OpenFire).
> Prosody looks promising and pretty powerful.
>
> I just wanted to offer my comments:
> -Moving to a better supported source repo (Github or Bitbucket with Hg
> support) would make the product *look* more viable
> -Better documentation on a tool like readthedocs.org would help (alot)
> (for example: I found a couple of mistakes following the documentation
> that I would have done a pull request to fix if you used readthedocs and
> either of the above repos)

Thanks for the feedback.

Please feel free to just report documentation issues to us, it would
only take a couple of minutes to send us an email
(mailto:devel...@prosody.im), or let us know what they are on this
list, or join the chatroom, basically any of the means listed at
https://prosody.im/discuss - we are constantly improving docs based on
user feedback. I don't think a git repository or
$documentation_hosting_of_the_month is a requirement for that, and
neither, as I already explained earlier in this thread, do I think
that chasing whichever third-party providers are currently the best
use of developers' time.

We're an open, active, and friendly project. Please don't discriminate
against us based on the tools we choose to use. Enjoy our software
instead :)

Regards,
Matthew

Scott White

Dec 9, 2015, 5:54:58 PM12/9/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

For development, should I be using the 0.10 or the latest stable 0.9.8? I started with running 0.9.8.

Here is my feedback on the documentation:
In install it does not mention CentOS or RHEL, but it does talk about it in the download section. Those sections maybe should just be merged.

 prosodyctl register me example.com mypassword
This does not work. No such command as "register". (0.9.8 install on CentOS from RPM)

Does the documentation live in a source repo? I could not find it.

Regards,
Matthew

Kim Alvefur

Dec 11, 2015, 5:43:35 PM12/11/15
to proso...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-12-09 23:54, Scott White wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> For development, should I be using the 0.10 or the latest stable 0.9.8? I
> started with running 0.9.8.
>
> Here is my feedback on the documentation:
> In install it does not mention CentOS or RHEL, but it does talk about it in
> the download section. Those sections maybe should just be merged.

Not a bad idea, since these are usually the same step on most systems
(except of course Windows).

> In https://prosody.im/doc/creating_accounts
> prosodyctl register me example.com mypassword
> This does not work. No such command as "register". (0.9.8 install on CentOS
> from RPM)

There's a register command in the source and it has been there since the
dawn of time. It's intentionally not documented but provided for
compatibility with ejabberdctl.

> Does the documentation live in a source repo? I could not find it.

No, it's a dokuwiki. Posting feedback or suggested changes here or to
our chat room is fine. Or possibly the issue tracker, I'll see about
adding a preset for documentation issues.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur

signature.asc