android rootfs using proot and openwrt

hhm

Feb 17, 2013, 7:43:04 AM2/17/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here https://sites.google.com/site/taldewandroid/ is a link to a
project I just put online.

It makes use of PRoot as one of its main tools.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Enjoy! :-)

Cédric VINCENT

Feb 17, 2013, 3:13:54 PM2/17/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Hello !

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM, hhm <heeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any feedback would be appreciated!

I don't own any Android platforms, so don't be afraid if my comments
sound stupid ;)

As of my understanding, the rootfs is extracted each time rfs.sh is
called, and if I don't want to extract the rootfs again, I just have
to execute rootfs/start.sh. I'm not able to see any references to
this generated script in the documentation. Also, an actual example
could be even more appealing ;)

Regards,
Cédric.

hhm

Feb 17, 2013, 11:23:43 PM2/17/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the advice, I have now added docs for start.sh.

You indeed understood it correctly (even without actually using it)!
> --
>
> ---

Cédric VINCENT

Feb 18, 2013, 4:25:35 AM2/18/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Do you plan to provide ready-to-use rootfs also?

Cédric VINCENT

Feb 21, 2013, 4:07:05 AM2/21/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM, hhm <heeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here https://sites.google.com/site/taldewandroid/ is a link to a
> project I just put online.

Does this require the Android phone to be "jailbroken"? I know pretty
much nothing about the execution restrictions on Android, so I'm sorry
if this question sounds stupid :)

hhm

Feb 21, 2013, 4:13:50 AM2/21/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Nope! That is a huge advantage, and that is why I created this project :-).

I can't believe I didn't white this on the site! Got to change it! Thanks!

Cédric VINCENT

Feb 21, 2013, 4:39:52 AM2/21/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM, hhm <heeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope! That is a huge advantage, and that is why I created this project :-).
>
> I can't believe I didn't white this on the site! Got to change it! Thanks!

Then, it is worth spreading the words ;)

https://plus.google.com/b/107605112469213359575/107605112469213359575/posts/EFfkbuN9XcE

hhm

Feb 21, 2013, 4:43:57 AM2/21/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much!

i...@altlinux.org

Apr 17, 2013, 2:20:39 AM4/17/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:43:04 PM UTC+4, hhm wrote:

Here https://sites.google.com/site/taldewandroid/ is a link to a
project I just put online.

It makes use of PRoot as one of its main tools.

That's an amazing idea!

I have a question. The page says:

> Tools used might not work if they aren't statically compiled, because the shared libraries they used are not necessarily available on the android system. So it is usually simpler to use static binaries.

Is this true for the tools installed and used inside the OpenWRT system? If so, why? Why can't they use the shared libraries which OpenWRT would provide for these binaries?

Best wishes,
Ivan

Cédric VINCENT

Apr 17, 2013, 3:46:30 AM4/17/13
to proo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ivan,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM, <i...@altlinux.org> wrote:

> I have a question. The page says:
>
>> Tools used might not work if they aren't statically compiled, because the
>> shared libraries they used are not necessarily available on the android
>> system. So it is usually simpler to use static binaries.
>
> Is this true for the tools installed and used inside the OpenWRT system?

No, this limitation applies only to the tools used *outside* the
OpenWRT system, i.e. only PRoot has to be statically linked since it
uses a library (talloc) not shipped with Android.

Once PRoot has started, the programs from the OpenWRT system do not
suffer this limitation because they access the shared libraries from
the OpenWRT system transparently.

Regards,
Cédric.