CoreOS refugee

Kai Hendry

Jan 1, 2019, 9:38:42 PM1/1/19
to Prometheus Users
Hi guys,

I'm the author of https://github.com/kaihendry/pingprom and I have been running:
* alertmanager
* prometheus
* blackbox prober
* grafana
* caddy to manage the endpoints with ssl & basic auth

on one "Droplet". Tbh it's not been a smooth experience. Lately I've been running into weird CoreOS (or is it Docker) issues RE DNS resolution and I can't find any answers or support.

So I am looking at other hopefully simpler ways of running these images. To my utter disillusionment Digital Ocean et al are pushing Kubernetes which makes the complexity of systemd+docker look like a Fisher-Price toy.

Am I missing simpler approaches? I'm even willing to consider a hosted solution at this point, since I am just too busy with other things.

Cheers,

Kai Hendry

Jan 2, 2019, 3:49:15 AM1/2/19
to Prometheus Users
I'm being very unfair to CoreOS, since the DNS issue seems to be one of blackbox exporter's defaults: https://natalian.org/2019/01/02/No_suitable_address_found/

CoreOS has been alright. Maintaining Prom's configs. Total PITA.