Continuation of Facebook Presto?

Kurt Larson

Feb 4, 2019, 8:21:02 PM2/4/19
to Presto
Can anyone in this group from Facebook please comment on whether Facebook Presto here in GitHub: https://github.com/prestodb/ will be maintained separately from the new Presto Software Foundations' (PSF) Presto now here in GItHub: https://github.com/prestosql?

Will Facebook Presto continue to be open source and as available as it's been the past?

Should the new PSF now be treated as a fork off of Facebook's original Presto?

From the release notes of both doc sets it appears that a fork did happen at Facebook Presto 0.215 where Facebook has now released 0.216 in their repo and PSF Presto's appears to have released 300 (note without the leading 0.) and 301 immediately after 0.215 in their repo.

Thanks,
-Kurt

P.S. Regardless of any change in direction, not to get lost here, but we all owe Facebook a huge thanks for open sourcing Presto to begin with and starting, contributing to, running, and supporting such a strong, engaged, and vibrant open source community.

reuben...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 3:50:48 AM2/23/19
to Presto
i am keen to know

sharma....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 1:28:57 PM2/23/19
to Presto
fwiw, we've been following prestosql and run in production with 302. on our 2, ~60 node cluster.

from what I understood and have read, most of the community users and contributors are in support of the foundation, including qubole, amazon, starburst, treasure data, linkedin, uber, twitter. even though the majority of the community is outside of facebook, I think we'd all like to see a cohesive community and have facebook join in.

to iterate what kurt larson said, I think it's great that facebook employed the some of the major contributors to presto. but we also a huge thanks to the other major users and individual community members.

anuj

vaug...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 7:01:20 PM3/6/19
to Presto
Hi Kurt, I'm an Engineering Manager at Facebook in the Presto team. Apologies for taking so long to answer your questions. Let me try to directly cover them all.

You asked which GitHub org is Facebook using to develop Presto. We continue to use the existing GitHub org (https://github.com/prestodb/) and existing site (https://prestodb.io).

Regarding the new Presto Software Foundation, Facebook is not joining the foundation. From our, Facebook, perspective it's correct to say that we treat of PSF as a fork off the original Presto. More objectively you can simply consider them distinct efforts.

We are committed to continuing to develop Presto as an open source project and are interested in working with everyone who wants to collaborate on the project. We have recently been ramping up our cross company/org/individual collaboration efforts so if you're interested in discussing topics like technical priorities or contributing to a joint project roadmap please come join the discussion on our slack channel listed on our site:
https://prestodb.io/community.html

Please let me know if I missed any of your questions and thanks for the kind words about the work Facebook has historically contributed to the project.

-Vaughn Washington