PrestoSQL and PrestoDB

passionbytes bigdata

Mar 5, 2019, 4:19:31 PM3/5/19
to presto...@googlegroups.com
We have seen a new website with entirely new package and version 314, with url

and version as 314.

And I have been living for the last four years with prestodb.io.

Can anyone please explain what's the motive behind changing package name and version number and maintaining a new site ?

Best,
Ron.

Martin Traverso

Mar 5, 2019, 4:31:02 PM3/5/19
to presto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

The new repository and github org were created shortly after the Presto Software Foundation was set up (see the original announcement: https://prweb.com/releases/prweb16070792.htm). It's where most of the committers to Presto and a much of the community are doing active development now.

Migrating to the new version is fairly straightforward. If you have custom patches or connectors, you can find instructions on how to update your code here: https://github.com/prestosql/presto/wiki/Migration

We also have a new Slack in case you need additional help or have further questions. You can find a signup link under https://prestosql.io/community.html.

- Martin

----

Martin Traverso
Co-founder @ Presto Software Foundation, Co-creator of Presto (https://prestosql.io)

vaug...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 6:47:12 PM3/6/19
to Presto
Hi Ron, I'm an Engineering Manager at Facebook in the Presto team. As Martin describes approximately two months ago a set of community members created a foundation and started developing Presto in a new github org.

At Facebook our team is continuing to invest heavily in Presto both advancing our internal scenarios and collaborating cross company/org/individual. We continue to use the existing github org (https://github.com/prestodb/) and existing site (https://prestodb.io).

We, Facebook, are not joining the new foundation. We are committed to developing Presto as an open source project and are interested in working with who want to collaborate on the project.

I hope this helps answer your question.

-Vaughn Washington