Announcing the Presto Software Foundation

Martin Traverso

Jan 31, 2019, 1:28:25 PM1/31/19
to Presto

We are pleased to announce the launch of the Presto Software Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of the Presto open source distributed SQL engine. When Dain, David, and I founded this project 6 years ago, our goal from the beginning was to build a healthy, open community, and this is the next logical step to ensure that the project stands the test of time.

Read more: https://www.prweb.com/releases/presto_software_foundation_launches_to_advance_presto_open_source_community/prweb16070792.htm

As part of this process, we’ve set up a new home:

* Website: https://prestosql.io

* GitHub: https://github.com/prestosql/presto

* Twitter: https://twitter.com/prestosql

The first release is out. See what’s new (https://prestosql.io/docs/current/release/release-300.html) and download it here: https://prestosql.io/download.html.

We'll soon be announcing the first community meeting, so stay tuned.

----

Martin Traverso

Co-founder @ Presto Software Foundation, Co-creator of Presto (https://prestosql.io)

Piotr Findeisen

Jan 31, 2019, 4:43:20 PM1/31/19
to presto...@googlegroups.com
That's simply thrilling!

congratulations!

Philippe Gagnon

Feb 1, 2019, 8:02:50 AM2/1/19
to presto...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Congratulations on starting the Presto Software Foundation. This is a big milestone for the software and its ecosystem.

It is however not quite clear from the press release, is the Presto Software Foundation forking the original Facebook project or is it changing ownership? If so what is the relationship between the projects, and are both going to be maintained and if so by whom? I think some clarity about these topics and the direction of both projects would be helpful for users.

Thanks!

Philippe

Martin Traverso

Feb 1, 2019, 4:06:37 PM2/1/19
to presto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Philippe!

That’s a good question. The Presto Software Foundation is independent from FB. I can’t speak to FB’s plans, so I’ll tell you what we are doing.  We have set up a new site, prestosql.io, GitHub, Slack, etc., and have done two releases so far (300 and 301). All the existing committers (except for those at FB), and many of the big and small contributors are already participating in this effort.

If you’d like to talk more about it or have additional questions, please join the prestosql slack and send me a message.

----
Martin Traverso
Co-founder @ Presto Software Foundation, Co-creator of Presto (https://prestosql.io)

vaug...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 7:11:12 PM3/6/19
to Presto
Hi Philippe,

I'm an Engineering Manager at Facebook in the Presto team. I'll answer the part of your question related to Facebook's plans for Presto.

At Facebook we're continuing to develop Presto using the existing GitHub org (https://github.com/prestodb/) and existing site (https://prestodb.io). We will not be joining the recently announced foundation.

Regarding your question about direction, we have been ramping up our cross company/org/individual collaboration efforts with a goal both to develop relationships across engineers at various companies and also to start iterating on a joint Presto project roadmap.

-Vaughn Washington