Any documentation about the ptab file format?

Artran

Jan 28, 2006, 7:19:23 AM1/28/06
to Power Tab Developers Support
Hi,
I'm interested in writing a Java application which can read ptab files.
Is there any documentation about the format? It's a long time since I
wrote any C so I'd struggle with reading the source code but I'll do
that if it's the only option.

Anything that I produce will be offered back to the community.

Regards,
Ray Tran

Dummy Account

Jan 28, 2006, 7:59:17 PM1/28/06
to powertab-...@googlegroups.com
The only documentation I have is for the header, which I've attached. The
rest you'll have to figure out using the code.
Power Tab File Header Info.htm

Ray Tran

Jan 29, 2006, 4:42:36 AM1/29/06
to powertab-...@googlegroups.com

nickk

Feb 14, 2006, 10:49:14 PM2/14/06
to Power Tab Developers Support
Hi,

Does anyone have the format specification handy?
ie - how does the file actually describe the SONG, not just the header
info..that would be an enormous. help.

I'm working on a genetic algorithm to translate 5-bar sheet music to
6-bar guitar tablature, and I would love to use powertab. Thanks in
advance.

Nickk

Ray Tran

Feb 16, 2006, 4:15:39 AM2/16/06
to powertab-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've been working on understanding the file format too. I have been
reading the source code and trying to relate that to the bytes that I
can see in the file. I have the beginnings of a structure diagram but
it's nowhere near complete, or even much use, at the moment. I've
attached it for you but I'm not sure if you'll get much from it.

There is a tex document on the net with the structure described. And
you may find some useful info looking around the site that it is on.
The document is here: http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/oss/ptabtools/svn/
trunk/format.tex . The author wrote some tools for reading various
music files. His description of the string representation isn't quite
right but the rest of the stuff looks ok.

I hope that's some help.

Cheers,
--
Ray Tran