Proposal - Potteries Hackspace IRC

Alexander McKay

Oct 5, 2015, 7:47:40 AM10/5/15
to Potteries Hackspace
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'd like to propose making a IRC channel for the Potteries Hackspace.

I propose using freenode to host the IRC. I've never done this before but it could be a fun little project that won't require any physical hardware etc.

Research so far:
http://www.hackspace.org.uk/view/Starting_a_Hackerspace

Quote from the last link.
  • It's a good idea to set up an IRC channel, most groups use Freenode and also hang out in hackerspace, the inter-uk-hackspace channel. The realtime aspect of IRC creates relationships between members who have not even met yet.

Also toying with the idea of setting up a wiki for projects and documentation:
This looks kinda cool

It could also give us an easy way to show the public what we do and for other members to see what you're up to if you need help.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Samuel Freeman

Oct 5, 2015, 8:07:54 AM10/5/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I support the idea (I've been an occasional user of irc for two decades now!) but also question the relevance - would it be used?

There are things like slack.com which might be more useful if it's going to be a case of ppl trying a new means of communication. . .

On the subject of using communication channels, if you go through the joining process for this mailing list/Google group then the extra step of someone approving your posts can be skipped...  : p

Cheers

Benjamin Harrison-Sims

Oct 5, 2015, 8:58:26 AM10/5/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A while back I set up #PotteriesHackspace for a bot I was working on and completely forgot about it. I checked on it and it is still registered. If anyone plans on using it, ping me (phs_rainbow).

Regards

Richard Smedley

Oct 5, 2015, 10:33:10 AM10/5/15
to potteries-hackspace
Hi,

On 5 October 2015 at 13:07, Samuel Freeman <samuel....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the subject of using communication channels, if you go through the
> joining process for this mailing list/Google group then the extra step of
> someone approving your posts can be skipped... : p

It's a trade-off. A few times we've had ppl
join up just to send the group members UCE
(spam). At the moment, this never reaches
the group, as first posts are moderated before
approval, so at the expense of a delayed
first post, and a moderator's time, users
are protected from unsolicited commercial
e-mails.

The alternative would see occasional junk
getting through, but no delay for new members'
posts (and no demands on moderators' time).
But that's ca. 100 members having to read
and delete whatever gets through.

What do others think?

- Richard