Potentiometer/Motor Combination?

Steven Maddox

Jan 26, 2015, 6:13:17 AM1/26/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Lo,

Has anyone ever seen a pot (potentiometer) that's controllable by a
motor ... and perhaps that motor can be remote controlled?

This *might* be what I'm looking for... www.ebay.com/itm/261248815128

I'm thinking this can be used as a normal volume control - but also the
volume control dial can be remotely turned up and down using the remote
control? Anyone think I've got that right?

This is related to the previous topic from October (below) I brought up,
the Arduino route just looked too complex and would additionally rule
out changing the volume by hand.

Any thoughts?

--
Steven Maddox

On 28/10/14 15:05, Steven Maddox wrote:
> Lo,
>
> I've got one of these (notice the little volume changer)...
> http://www.techspot.com/old-articles/reviews/hardware/inspire5300/2.gif
>
> Which at the back looks like this...
> https://img3.sprzedajemy.pl/540x405_glosniki-creative-in-986233.jpg
>
> Next to the bass dial (on the right) there is a female 6 pin mini-DIN
> socket (same as a PS/2 socket) where the volume changer connects to.
>
> I'm seeking to make an adapter that'd connect that socket to a USB port
> on a PC. This is so the volume of the subwoofer can be changed from the
> PC without need of the volume changer dongle.
>
> From what I gather I'd need some kind of digital potentiometer?
>
> I've found what each pin of the 6 pin mini-DIN does here...
> http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/creative_inspire_5300_pinout.shtml
>
> Also I hear you guys use Ardiuno, which USB-enabled one of those might
> be simplest/smallest to pair with a digital potentiometer (or two, I
> think there's one for left/right balance control)?
>
> Any thoughts let me know,
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Ian Knight

Jan 26, 2015, 6:24:10 AM1/26/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
Now I am not an expert on the technology but I think RC (radio control)
servos work that way. Basically the servo output shaft turns a pot to
balance/null the input single.
Ian

Ian Knight

Jan 26, 2015, 6:50:30 AM1/26/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Steven
Just thinking about your problem and issue that comes to mind is which input
should I (the system) respond to? Inasmuch as it has remote input
(positioning) information coming in and someone is turn the pot at the same
time some which should I respond to?

That said, what comes to mind is a pot driven by a stepping motor.
One you can do away with gears.
Two you can turn the knob in the opposite direction to the incoming step
signal providing the motor is not too powerful of course.
Three some stepping motor are double ended inasmuch as the drive shaft comes
out of both end. So you could put the knob on one end and the pot on the
other.

Ian