Bicycle handlebars

Jibreel Arshad

Apr 12, 2015, 11:01:24 AM4/12/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about bicycle handlebars.
I want to make mine narrower, current set are about 400mm wide, 22mm diameter at the grips and 25.4mm at the stem.
My shoulder width is about 280mm.
Can't move brakes any further in as the bars flare up closer to the stem and therefore can't cut more off the ends.

I'm considering getting a straight bar and shimming the middle for the ahead set. Straight alu tube, with the shim glued on. Easier than welding steel and can be cut with a pipe cutter.

I think I'm missing something, are straight bars actually straight? I'm guessing I shouldn't use polished tube

Cheers,

Jib

Paul Dovey

Apr 12, 2015, 12:23:46 PM4/12/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
I have got a pipe bender that will do 22mm copper so could do 22mm aluminium. I have had aluminium tube of ebay in the past.
If you had a piece of 25mm / 3 mm  thick you could sleeve the 22mm in the center.

Jibreel Arshad

Apr 12, 2015, 4:32:50 PM4/12/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an idea, how tight a bend can your pipe bender make?

Paul Dovey

Apr 12, 2015, 5:50:37 PM4/12/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jib

Tighter than 90 Degree's

Jibreel Arshad

Apr 12, 2015, 6:00:54 PM4/12/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

OK, what radius? wondering whether I'd need to use my bar ends