website not loading

Samuel Freeman

Jan 21, 2015, 10:09:17 AM1/21/15
to potteries-hackspace
who has access to the hosting side of potterieshackspace.org ?

it's either not loading at all or loading very slowly - perhaps (in an
optimistic way) due to too much traffic after the WaveMaker press
coverage today?

- if so can we switch to static html landing page or some such for now?

... on the other hand, maybe is it only me, and the website is loading
fine for other ppl?

Thomas Hancock

Jan 21, 2015, 10:35:18 AM1/21/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Loads here, but is slow..

Samuel Freeman

Jan 21, 2015, 10:44:41 AM1/21/15
to potteries-hackspace
yes, loading now, but very slow
> To post to this group, send email to potteries...@googlegroups.com.

Ian Knight

Jan 21, 2015, 10:52:44 AM1/21/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you need a PC service (Defrag/More RAM etc)
or time to upgrade from a 486 running Windows 95
;¬}

James Wade

Jan 21, 2015, 10:54:58 AM1/21/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Yes, sometimes the website has trouble.

The problem is Wordpress is a bit of a beast and it's only a small entry level VPS (free).

To mitigate this I've tweaked the HTTPD to use less memory and the Wordpress install to cache (almost) everything.

It's not enough.

What I plan on doing as a quick fix is moving the DNS over to CloudFlare so if the server does drop off, the website will be served from the cache, however the domain is not controlled by me, so I need to get that sorted with Richard.

I've restarted the HTTPD which should make the site respond for now.

Ta.