Roll up door to wall bridging connector for the lock

Ian Knight

Oct 15, 2014, 2:45:44 PM10/15/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

 Hello,

So we are moving towards getting the radio tag door lock working and I know we have talked in the past about how to bridge the wire from the control unit on the wall to the lock on the door. The problem being that the door rolls up and there we need to somehow stop the wire getting tangled up or broken etc.

Well James asked me once about making a connector that would unplug/disconnect as we rolled the door up and connect again when rolled down.

At the time I said I though it would be to difficult and unreliable, well I have been thinking about it and now believe that it wouldn't really be that difficult.

So what you think guys, shall I come up with a design and make one or have you solved the wire bridging problem?

Ian

Paul Dovey

Oct 15, 2014, 3:13:05 PM10/15/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian
I have ordered some boxes   to get going with. It has changed now . Tom & I thought we would  mount the arduino in a box on the door on the opposite side to a the Tag  reader box( on the outside). We will need to send a network cable and a 12v supply to the arduino. We then take the wire up the door  and then arrange a spring / weight pulley to take up the slack wire if the door is opened.

We need 3v, 5v and 12v at the door. The arduino as a built in regulator for 12v to give the other two so it will simplify the wiring and reduce concerns on voltage drop.Where to mount the 12v battery and trickle charge is still up for discussion on the backwall (in the kitchen) or by the side.. For about a fiver on ebay you can get a 12v trickle charger psu so we only need a box or shelf and a 12v alarm type backup battery) approx £10.00). The ethernet and 12v will plug in the Arduino so if we don't run the wire up the door then we can just uplug from the project box. Sounds simple bu we will have to see !

Paul

Ian Knight

Oct 15, 2014, 4:41:27 PM10/15/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Paul

Well I guess that is a no to needing a cable bridging connector.

As far as the 12v bat and charger why not put it on wall that has door in it as I was planning to run a new ring main in and put a socket on that wall somewhere to the right of the door looking from the inside.

Also something we need is a light to come on when the door is opened as walking in currently you have to blunder across the room in the dark to find the light switch.

And someone is going to trip over something that someone else has left across the floor OUCH.

Maybe the Arduino could turn on a 12v light (big LED) for 15sec or so.

Ian

Paul Colclough

Oct 16, 2014, 5:02:26 AM10/16/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Another idea would be one of those home automation remote controllers. Basically you connect mains electric to a normal bulb, then you use a remote to control it.

I'm sure someone could pull apart the battery powered remote control and get an Arduino to simulate the button presses? Heck you could even program it so that certain RFID cards turn on certain items rather than just bulbs.

Paul Dovey

Oct 16, 2014, 6:16:07 AM10/16/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Last week at the space I saw the remains of Matts thermal forming project in a box. A white floodlight with a PIR. We could take the PIR wire it in parallel with a light switch and place it opposite the door . Person steps in lights come on, flick switch lights stay on. Perhaps that would work

Paul D

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/potteries-hackspace.

James Wade

Oct 27, 2014, 2:58:55 PM10/27/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

When I was away, the hotel had RFID cards to enter the room.

I wondered how they dealt with the problem of knowing when someone has left the room.

It seems they have the door sensor so they know when the door opens/closes.

They also had room motion sensors, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom.

If the door opened/shut, then there was extended periods of no motion, the lights and air conditioning would turn off.

Food for thought...

Paul Colclough

Oct 27, 2014, 5:28:52 PM10/27/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
That complicated? Where did you go?

The last 2 hotels I stayed out were both RFID, but you needed to put your room card in a holder on the wall next to the door, which was perfect as it stopped you from losing it, but a side effect was that removing it from the holder turned off all the electric and A/C. Confused me a tad the first time I walked into the room and nothing worked then the lights went out. (I assume they come on for a bit when you swipe the door, but then go off again if you don't put the key in the holder).

You also needed your RFID card to activate the lift, and there was no push buttons - it only took you to the floor for your room or reception, no other. Small problem when your friend is on the next floor! We had to keep meeting in reception or the bar. Nice beer though :)

James Wade

Oct 27, 2014, 5:54:40 PM10/27/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
That sounds similar to the Travelodge I stayed in in Leeds.

Perhaps the solution is to put an RFID receiver on the inside or use those PIR sensors mentioned earlier...

Paul Colclough

Oct 27, 2014, 6:54:20 PM10/27/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
PIR's can detect movement in a room, but thermal can detect human presence in a room. Something like an OMRON D6T should do the job nicely. Depends if you want something simple, or something techy and fun. Not cheap though, about £30 each, but you probably only need one.

Ian Knight

Oct 28, 2014, 5:43:54 AM10/28/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Morning all.

While we are on this subject of tracking people in PHS there is a matter that keeps popping up in my mind.

Given the nature of HS what if someone was to hurt themselves and not be able to make it to the door to call for help.

I ask as I was thinking of popping in to do some wiring last week and should the ladder slip and I am injured it could be a good few days before I was found. (Or for that matter anyone else who pops in to work on there project.)

Maybe something to implement is some kind of system that expects visitor to reset some alarm every hour or so.

Then if not reset it email/Texts other member  with an alert.

Just a thought Ian

Ian Norton

Oct 28, 2014, 6:02:12 AM10/28/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm mainly lurking here from Lancaster ;)

> The last 2 hotels I stayed out were both RFID, but you needed to put your
> room card in a holder on the wall next to the door, which was perfect as it
> stopped you from losing it, but a side effect was that removing it from the
> holder turned off all the electric and A/C. Confused me a tad the first time
> I walked into the room and nothing worked then the lights went out. (I
> assume they come on for a bit when you swipe the door, but then go off again
> if you don't put the key in the holder).

All of these I've seen have been a microswitch at the bottom of a
plastic holder, you can use any card to trigger them.

Counting in and out with two readers one each side of the door works
but relies on only one person coming through the door at a time.

PIR works, but I've put one in my kitchen recently and seen issues
with it switching off if you're stood in one place for more than the
timeout. Fine for occupancy sensing I guess but no good for lights in
areas where you might be using sharp knives or a hot cooker ;)

Random idea, but what about a key rack near the door? Arrive and hang
your keys up / insert one into a slot and pick them up when you leave?

Feel free to ignore suggestions from the lurker ;)

Regards, Ian.

Paul Dovey

Oct 28, 2014, 6:56:05 AM10/28/14
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian
With this arduino networked on the door we could have a switch/button  attached which would start a countdown it could bleep for two mins  If its not reset it could send a Email to the group. I am sure we could work something around that. An email when ever a key is scanned . Clocking out is the problem because you don't need to scan to get out. James was on about having a web cam up in the space to show whats going on.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/potteries-hackspace.