Server hosting

Samuel Freeman

Jun 9, 2015, 5:55:06 AM6/9/15
to potteries-hackspace
Hello all, and particularly CTO Ben and James I...

I would very much like to have access to a VM on the server - any chance of helping with that this evening?

Although I have a number of mid-/long-term goals that could use that technology, by first aim is to set up a Minecraft server and test it with a handful for whitelisted users.

See yous later today.

Sam

James Wade

Jun 9, 2015, 6:11:06 AM6/9/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Yes that's no problem.

I wanted to have a little catch up with Ben, so yeah.

Perhaps Ben could give us a quick run down what he's setup that would be brilliant.

If we aim to discuss around 7.30, because I want to try and call a quick scrum meeting about the robot at 8pm if everyone's about.

Cheers.

Message has been deleted

Benjamin Harrison-Sims

Jun 9, 2015, 6:11:10 AM6/9/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Samuel Freeman

Jun 9, 2015, 6:29:49 AM6/9/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com, tehrai...@gmail.com
Cheers!

In Linux I have most experience with Debian, but my MC hosting experience is mostly via Terminal on OSX, so I am not too fussed...

planning to be there before 7 today, so a pre-8pm talk through will work for me : )

Samuel Freeman

Jun 10, 2015, 6:17:26 AM6/10/15
to potteries-hackspace
Hello!

It was great to get the minecraft server running last night, thanks Ben for setting up the VM in advance and guiding through the install

I have been able to connect to it from client at home!

I cannot, however, ssh in (my password is rejected - but now i think about it, the box on the IP I'm using to connect to the minecraft server will have port forwarding for that to work, and so it's not surprising that a simple ssh command @that.IP is not working... I need the IP of the VM...)

Ben, if you have time could you please email me off list about this?

For now I'll be happy to know how to do these two things:  1, use ssh to connect to the VM where I can see/edit files via Terminal; 2, access the server console when it is already running (in order to execute commands, especially 'stop' for restarting after server.properties edits etc)

Thanks again, not only to Ben to everyone involved in getting the network infrastructure in place to make this possible

sdf