Lionschasing .

Mar 15, 2016, 10:13:35 AM3/15/16
to matthew slinn, Ian Knight, potteries...@googlegroups.com
So I spent $$$ on new wheels then soon after smashed the rear and got a flat spot. It was bad enough for me to notice while riding so something had to be done. I didn't want to cash out on a new wheel so instead I thought hard on how to repair it. I ended up spending ~$20 on some tools and manage to do so.

Basically the idea is to insert a bottle jack in between the hub and the rim where the flat spot is. Then operate the jack to press the flat spot out.

It worked for me, first try. I wouldn't consider it "good as new" but I'm definitely satisfied with the outcome.

Before going off and trying this, please consider the following:
-don't expect this to fix any severity of flat spot. Mine was minor so it worked. Yours might be major so.... maybe it'll work, I don't know.
-contents under pressure! Ya, so protect yourself when doing this.
-your bike is different from mine so be sure that you make adjustments to protect the parts on you bike.

Ok, here we go:

1. You will need the smallest bottle jack you can find. I got a 2-ton jack from Princess Auto for $16. Also from there I grabbed a $4 rubber boat bumper. You also might need some wooden spacers and piece of rubber to protect your rim from scratches.

2. I don't have a truing stand so I clamped on a piece of metal to use as a reference when finding the flat spot. A zap strap works as well.

3. Mark where the flat spot starts and finishes as well as the center (most flatted spot)

4. With a ruler, ON A GOOD PART OF THE RIM, measure and note the distance between the hub and the edge of the rim. Compare it to the flatted side of the rim. This will tell you how much you need to press out. I required ~5mm.

5. Remove the spokes within the flatted area.

6. Install the bottle jack under the center point of the flat spot. I placed the boat bumper over my hub, then the spacer, then the jack and piece of rubber.

7. Double check everything is lined up and give it a couple pumps. Keep an eye on your spokes, cog, hub, etc. ensuring nothing is getting bent. Be careful not to over do it. You might wreck something like bust a spoke or crack your rim. After some tension has been applied remove the jack and measure your progress against the measurement you made of the good side. Reinstall the jack and repeat as necessary.

8. Reassemble your wheel and have a pro true it. The end.

Ian Knight

Mar 16, 2016, 4:23:11 AM3/16/16
to potteries...@googlegroups.com, matthew slinn

Well done Archie,

Definitely one for the book, why not put it on instructables.

http://www.instructables.com/

Ian