Fwd: [uk-hackspaces] Hub in a box - co-creating support for sustainable makerspaces/innovationhubs

Richard Smedley

Oct 7, 2015, 6:40:18 AM10/7/15
to potteries-hackspace
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Laura James <lbj...@gmail.com>
Date: 7 October 2015 at 10:15
Subject: [uk-hackspaces] Hub in a box - co-creating support for
sustainable makerspaces/innovationhubs
To: uk-hac...@googlegroups.com

Hi folks,

A bunch of global makerspaces are looking for folks involved in Fab
Labs/Makerspaces/innovation hubs that are financially sustainable to
join a workshop in Egypt later this year. The idea is to co-create a
set of best practices that other innovation hubs and makerspaces
around the world can use to become sustainable long term. I'm
forwarding the invite below.

They will pay for travel, accommodation and food, and this is a nice
chance to connect with maker/hacker communities from the global south.

Laura

AfriLabs, iceHubs Global and Impact Hub will be co-hosting a Hub in a
Box Sustainability Workshop for innovation spaces/hubs to crowdsource
the best of what we know about revenue generation across different
funding streams and types of spaces.

We know that innovation spaces must thrive financially in order to
deliver the best support possible to the communities they serve, but
the road to sustainability is difficult. What we need is an effective,
efficient way to aggregate, distill, and share this knowledge, which
is what we aim to do through this workshop. More importantly, we need
people who truly believe that our community of spaces will succeed by
collaborating and building together.

The sustainability workshop, a.k.a. “Hub in a Box“ will be an intense,
3.5 day day exercise where selected applicants will be assigned to one
of four revenue model tracks - community, products & services, space
rental, and incubation - that best reflects their main area of
expertise. Each mini brain trust will then be focused on identifying
challenges and creating solutions in each topic area before we bring
our insights together.

We’d love you to be there! So, block your calendar from 7th till 12th
of December 2015 for a fantastic trip to Cairo, Egypt! And of course
don't forget to apply here: http://bit.ly/1KZCtn1. The deadline for
applying is Friday, 16th of October.

Stay tuned for confirmations before the end of October! For further
information, contact us at: hubi...@icecairo.com

--

---