james may's toy stories train

sa...@sldmodels.co.uk

May 1, 2016, 10:50:32 AM5/1/16
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I was watching a repeat of James May's toy stories the other
day which was a follow up to the model train episode and it got me
thinking, if I was going to make a train with an alternative power
supply, how would I do it. Well, my idea is to take a model train and
install solar cells in the roof sections of the coaches. Obviously,
this would only work in sunlight, so it needs a second power source, so,
those outdoor solar lights that charge in the day so they can work at
night came to mind. What I'm thinking is that it'll use a few relays,
solar cells and either AA rechargeable batteries or capacitors. If I
can get the tech small enough, then add dynamos connected to the coaches
so the faster it goes, the faster it can go, so of like self
perpetuating. Now the train I have in mind is 12v, so that means
putting the solar cells and batteries in series to the same power level,
but unlike most model trains, I'll have a powercar at either end (think
125 trains) and they'll have mini fans at the front to blow away any
dust from the track in front and behind. Ideally this will be a full 11
car train eventually.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions to add to this.

Sarah

btw, do we have a new place yet?

Ian Knight

May 2, 2016, 4:02:12 AM5/2/16
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sarah and nice to hear from you again as been a long time.

So an alternative energy powered model train sounds great fun and as
requested I have a few points or questions.

I am not too clear how the dynamo is intended to work but if your converting
mechanical energy into electrical energy than putting that back into a motor
to convert back to mechanical the resultant losses would mean you get less
power out than you put in hence I think you will get more drag that
propulsion.

Using solar cells to charge batteries to drive the motors is good, however
putting them on the train/coach roof means it is going to be difficult to
control the speed so on a dull day it may just crawl along and on really
sunny (I wish) it may be just too fast. Also train may stall if area of
track is in shade.

So what about powering the train as normal via the track and putting the
solar panels by the track side, you could also add in a wind turbine to
charge a 12volt battery as well as solar. This put you in control and I
think would be all in all easier to make as most of this solar/wind battery
technology can be easily purchased if you do not want to make everything.
(See battery charging system for small boats ebay)

If I am unclear on your intentions sorry my fault, please correct me.
Other than that John is the 12 volt man and he would be a wealth of
knowledge on the subject, also Matt and Archie do lots with batteries and
charges. Me am old school so I use an old car battery and top it up from the
mains if the wind don't blow and the sun is hiding.

Good luck with the project and if you need some help you know where we are.
Ian

sa...@sldmodels.co.uk

May 2, 2016, 8:11:21 AM5/2/16
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
The dynamo, either 2 ways to use it, either mounted on each coach as a
wind turbine using this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182032422534?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
or butcher that, connect it the wheels on the coach front and rear. You
may be right about the friction issue, but that's something I'll have to
test.

The solar cells will be on the roof of 9 coaches producing 12v at 2
watts while also providing power to charge the batteries / capacitors
for when there's no more sun, that's when the batteries take over.
Using 12v batteries connected to the track is one way of doing this, but
the idea is that this train should be able to do the same run as on the
program without any external interference, unless it breaks down. The
max speed can be regulated using variable resisters etc, and packing the
coaches with capacitors so any excess goes into them and isn't wasted.
Remember there'll be 2 motors at either end to power, and all the
vehicles will be connected somehow (I'm working that out in my head but
haven't put it down on paper yet). It might mean buying a lot of solar
powered lights and butchering them, but I'm going to try with a smaller
train first with 1 solar powered truck behind it collecting solar power.

Sarah

sa...@sldmodels.co.uk

May 2, 2016, 8:46:44 AM5/2/16
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Not to scale apart from the solar cells. This is the mockup so far.
It'll have 7 more coaches in the end.

Sarah
solar powered hst prototype 1.jpg