iphone4 recovery

James Wade

Jul 27, 2015, 2:16:42 PM7/27/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to recover data from a damaged iphone4?

No USB detection. No signs of life.

Thinking a transplant might be the only way...

IMG_20150727_191348.jpg

Ian Knight

Jul 27, 2015, 2:35:15 PM7/27/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Wow, looks bad to me! As you say I think transplant the mother/main board into working chassis and screen and hope.

Do you know what killed it, was it water damage?

I am planning on come into PHS tomorrow so bring it in and ill take a look.. Sorry iam am not optimistic.

Ian

James Wade

Jul 27, 2015, 4:17:55 PM7/27/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
No, it's someone else's. I think it got crushed. It's the builders who's been doing some work for us.

I'm not optimistic either, I can't even get it open to take a look inside yet.

There's teeny tiny star screws on the bottom. Nothing I have is small enough.

See you tomorrow. Though my focus will be the bot! ;)

Paul Dovey

Jul 27, 2015, 4:49:26 PM7/27/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
OK James I will go for the bigger one. Have you heard of Genesis we could do with the aluminum  casing

Ian Knight

Jul 27, 2015, 5:24:09 PM7/27/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Does it have stuff stored in its SIM card as that still maybe ok, so you could pull it and pop it into a SIM free fone

Jul 28, 2015, 3:10:14 AM7/28/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

The SIM only contains text messages, phone contacts with the related information like names and numbers, and history of calls including dates and times.

It doesn't contain the photos of the work done on my property which is what I'm hoping to recover.

It's not critical, but it would be useful.

Ian Knight

Jul 28, 2015, 4:41:36 AM7/28/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Hi james, yes I understand what it stores and where and will take a look at it tonight.

My point of contacts stored in SIM comes from experience of broken phones eg. My friend Richard the plumber knocked on my door some weeks ago and said ian can you have a quick look at my phone as he bust it in similar way and I need to call the people I am going to next and boiler supplier to order part for job I am currently on. I took the SIM from his phone popped it in my one and said there’s your contacts call them and bring the phone back when you have got a replacement for this broken one.

Couple of days later he pops round “you’re a mate ian got me out of a real hole”. This is the real world that people live in and need a solution now and it is there not lost somewhere in an inaccessible cloud.  And I as you know have been in IT long enough to see clouds come and go, 1st was the S.I.T.A cloud in the 70’ties then  HP cloud, then the IBM cloud and now another and another ET AL. Clouds come and go but your contacts where you need them when you need them is crucial to people with small business and it is clears the like of MS do not understand this.

See you tonight ian.

Jul 28, 2015, 5:03:01 AM7/28/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

I know you may know, but onlookers to this discussion may not. ;)

It's funny because in this case, if they do have Apple iCloud setup, the photos should be there and I don't need to recover the phone.

A line of enquiry I need to investigate.

Ian Knight

Jul 28, 2015, 6:41:38 AM7/28/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com

Ya James, I know you know and sorry about the rant.

Just going to have to build my own smart phone that does what I want it to and you can drive over it!

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

Anyone up for a coding weekend?

Ian

James Wade

Jul 28, 2015, 6:46:46 AM7/28/15
to potteries...@googlegroups.com
Heh.

I was actually speaking to Ben about this. I used to be pretty privacy conscious, as was the nature of the Internet when I was young and so was the Internet.

Everything changed when Facebook required you to use your real name and people began to get suspicious of you when you _didn't_ have any public visibility.

Funny how things flip-flop. All hail the borg! *grin*

I'm up for a codeathon. The question is themes and/or structure. Any ideas?