Getting PortablePython sources

Nick

Dec 30, 2009, 2:21:10 AM12/30/09
to PortablePython
Hi there!
I need to build a python26.dll with mingw32 for my project, is there a
source code available for portable python?
(as I didn't find the sources on the website)

Thanks in advance!

Douglas Stanley

Jan 8, 2010, 11:59:57 AM1/8/10
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering this as well. I see the project is using Trac, but no
source code repository. Is there a reason for that?

Nick

Jan 8, 2010, 12:49:27 PM1/8/10
to PortablePython
I have done some googling regarding this issue since my first post and
have found that:
1. there is no _official_ (which means supported by python.org) python
mingw32 port - python only builds with Visual studio on windows
without problems.
2. mingw support for now only exists as patches to original source
tree (i've tried to apply thouse but failed to compile) or some
independent projects for old branches (2.5) which is not a solution.
3. there's a documented (and working) way to convert M$ librarian .lib
files to mingw .a (AR) format, that can be later used for developement
(to build with mingw gcc).

that's why we will hardly see some working source tree for mingw, i
guess portable python sources is just the official branch with minor
fixes to support auto relocated python directory for portability -
this is not what i'm looking. What i need is to compile standalone
executable against static python lib with mingw (the one included in
the distro - libpython26.a - is dynamic and uses .dll ) - it seems
it's not possible AFAIK.

Perica Zivkovic

Jan 9, 2010, 3:30:21 PM1/9/10
to PortablePython
Nick, Douglas,

bit of clarification from my side. Currently there is NO source for
PortablePython (PP). Thats why Trac repository is empty. Not that I
don't want to open the source or something but there is NO source.

PP is not built by recompiling Python.org source tree with Visual
Studio, mingw32 or something else. PP is built by extracting official
Python.org releases (installers), configuring some paths (by hand),
adding some libs and IDE's (by hand) and repackaging entire thing
again in an installer.

I'm working now to create nsis script for packaging, portableapps.com
compatibility etc. which will be added in source control as soon as I
have some base version of it. Hard for me to focus on this now as I
have 6 days old baby girl most of the time in my hands :D but have
patience this will come in to source control.

kind regards,

Perica

Sypniewski, Bernard Paul

Jan 9, 2010, 5:07:51 PM1/9/10