Solar company puts hold on $20M US investment following new tariff

I-think4me

Jan 26, 2018, 12:43:12 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
MAGA

ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT
January 26, 2018 - 12:31 PM EST
Solar company puts hold on $20M US investment following new tariff
Solar company puts hold on $20M US investment following new tariff
BY MIRANDA GREEN 2
TWEET SHARE MORE
U.S.-based solar energy company SunPower announced it's putting a hold on a $20 million plan to expand factories and create hundreds of new jobs in the U.S. until it can guarantee an exclusion from the new federal solar technology tariff, according to Reuters.

SunPower's decision to halt its growth in California and Texas follows President Trump's announcement Monday that a 30 percent tariff would be placed on all imported solar technologies.

The administration said the decision would protect American manufacturing jobs but some solar companies, like SunPower, argued that it will hurt their bottom line and result in fewer jobs in the industry.
While SunPower is based in San Jose, Calif., the majority of its solar technologies are manufactured in the Philippines and Mexico.

"We have to stop the $20 million investment because the tariffs start before we know if we’re excluded,” SunPower's Chief Executive Tom Werner, told Reuters. “It’s not hypothetical. These were positions that we were recruiting for that we are going to stop.”

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 1:09:37 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
subsidizing American businesses to compete with foreign companies who can produce less expensive products is folly.

White Mark

Jan 26, 2018, 1:14:17 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
Want to avoid the tariff make your products here. Duh.

Irie

Jan 26, 2018, 1:14:50 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
When dealing with dumping that is the other side of the coin to tariffs.

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 1:23:17 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
You know, the bigger issue here in my opinion is how we let ourselves fall so behind in the entire Solar Technology industry that we now need to slap tariffs on those foreign companies that are mercilessly kicking our behinds in that game.

And how did that happen?

From what I understand, the Chinese government heavily subsidized that industry during its formation and advancement, while we - well, not 'we', but you know who - kept subsidizing and militarily defending and giving free passes and fawning over oil and gas and coal while exclaiming 'free market' and alternative energy is too expensive and too inefficient.

So, we drill baby drilled while the rest of the world roared ahead of us in this and other ESSENTIAL NEXT GEN TECHNOLOGIES.

All I can say is, we better wake up, and right quick.

You know who I am talking to.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 1:24:17 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
Want to avoid the tariff make your products here. Duh.
---
price your products competitively or find another product to sell.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 1:24:45 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
price competitively or get out of the market.

ImStillMags Mags

Jan 26, 2018, 1:28:36 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
amen

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 1:33:35 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
I'd be inclined to change that slightly to 'find a way to price competitively, and affordably, or get out of the market'.

Also, that nature of the product being assessed (or priced) is an important element to consider. Is it a new, strategically important technology, still developing and advancing? There are some markets you that just can't, or shouldn't, be abandoned.

Honestly, your reduction to the below simple statement is exactly how conservatives talk to each other, and how they get to be so, well, f'n stupid.

PirateLT

Jan 26, 2018, 1:34:44 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
World economy dolt.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 1:38:07 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
how we let ourselves fall so behind in the entire Solar Technology industry that we now need to slap tariffs on those foreign companies that are mercilessly kicking our behinds in that game.
----
the US workers can't compete with Chinese labor.

Since 2001, the United States has lost 2.8 million manufacturing jobs to China — that despite U.S. factory workers being far more productive.

Partly, it can be explained by China’s cheaper workers: The average hourly wage for Chinese manufacturing workers is less than a tenth that of their average U.S. counterparts, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It being about twice as cheap to live in China, those lower Chinese wages go further. But Chinese factory workers also tend to work longer hours, making them more appealing to some employers.

U.S. factory workers do have one critical advantage over others: They’re really productive. In fact, U.S. factory workers produce $73.45 per hour in output, one-third more than German factory workers and twice as much as workers in Taiwan, according to the BLS. That’s in part because U.S. workers still tend to build more expensive products than someone in Taiwan, such as airplanes instead of shoes, Brookings labor economist Gary Burtless said.

Chinese and U.S. workers differ in another important respect as well. Factory workers in China are more than three times more likely to get killed at work than their American counterparts, and the government’s health insurance programs do not cover basic care.

German factory workers, on the other hand, enjoy a higher quality of life than American manufacturing workers. Their wages are 11 percent higher than those in the U.S. — largely because their unions are more powerful.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 1:41:16 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
I'd be inclined to change that slightly to 'find a way to price competitively, and affordably, or get out of the market'.
---
ok  .... find a way to price competitively and affordably or get out of the market.

I-think4me

Jan 26, 2018, 2:03:49 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
That’s in part because U.S. workers still tend to build more expensive products than someone in Taiwan, such as airplanes instead of shoes, Brookings labor economist Gary Burtless said.
--------------
We keep using words like compete, implying that we should be able to make the same products on a level playing field. What we should be focused on instead is making what we can make best or better. The whole point of global trade is that different areas can produce goods more efficiently.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 2:22:35 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
spot on!

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 2:54:51 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
"What we should be focused on instead is making what we can make best or better."

Yes.

And energy technology should be one of our primary focuses, if not THE primary focus.

I mean, c'mon - is there anything that is more important to the future than next generation energy technologies?

And what has a significant proportion of our political will and influence been bent on the past 15 or so years?

Convincing us that oil and gas is the way to go, and to forget about those other, green, wimpy, lefty technologies.

PirateLT

Jan 26, 2018, 2:55:28 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
AI is more important.

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 2:58:44 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
Is AI going to help prevent environmental havoc from being wreaked on the planet?

Lobo

Jan 26, 2018, 3:25:09 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
NOTHING is more important than keeping the planet habitable, including slowing down global warming (it's too late to stop it). We won't HAVE an economy to speak of, or much use for AI and other high tech, if we don't.

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 3:27:53 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
That's pretty much it.

Navy

Jan 26, 2018, 3:35:42 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
Forgetting about  the Solandra shit show?

PirateLT

Jan 26, 2018, 3:43:39 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
The AI race is the most important race. Nothing is even a close second. Buying solar panels from other countries is not a big deal.

Pittalum

Jan 26, 2018, 3:45:49 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
No one's forgot about Solandra. We should learn from it and move on.

Solandra doesn't mean solar isn't a viable technology.

Here, read this...

Here's some excepts:

"Today, China utterly dominates global solar-panel manufacturing. Last year, according to the consulting firm IHS Markit, China accounted for 70 percent of global capacity for manufacturing crystalline-silicon solar panels, the most common type. The United States share was 1 percent.

But now, China’s solar industry is changing in little-noticed ways that create both an imperative and an opportunity for the United States to up its game. The Chinese industry is innovating technologically — indeed, it’s starting to score world-record solar-cell efficiencies — contrary to a long-held myth that all China can do is manufacture others’ inventions cheaply. It’s expanding its manufacturing footprint across the globe. And it’s scrambling to import more efficient ways of financing solar power that have been pioneered in the West. The United States needs to take these shifts into account in defining an American solar strategy that minimizes the cost of solar power to the world while maximizing the long-term benefit to the American economy.

A more-enlightened United States policy approach to solar would seek above all to continue slashing solar power’s costs — not to prop up types of American solar manufacturing that can’t compete globally. It would leverage, not aim to bury, China’s manufacturing superiority, with closer cooperation on solar research and development. And it would focus American solar subsidies more on research and development and deployment than on manufacturing. As solar manufacturing continues to automate, reducing China’s cheap-labor advantage, it is likely to make more sense in the United States, at least for certain sorts of solar products."

Lobo

Jan 26, 2018, 3:46:10 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
<<Forgetting about  the Solandra shit show?>>

What about it? There were definitely some bad business things going on with the company, but it wasn't anything like what the right made it out to be.

Thanks largely to funding by the Big Oily-Koch Bros' "Americans For Prosperity", the right put a lot of resources into turning the Solyndra solar panels company failure -- which was caused in large part by huge Chinese government subsidies for its own solar panel industry -- not only into an Obama "scandal" (which it wasn't), but into an all-out assault on solar and other alternative energies in general.

Lobo

Jan 26, 2018, 3:53:47 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
<<The AI race is the most important race. Nothing is even a close second.>>

If you don't accept the reality of AGW and its consequences.

<<Buying solar panels from other countries is not a big deal.>>

Not as far as slowing down AGW is concerned, perhaps, but having and encouraging a thriving alternative energies sector, including R&D and maintenance in addition to production, is hugely important to the economy. As important as the development of the fossil fuels industry earlier.

Navy

Jan 26, 2018, 3:55:44 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
No body said it wasn't a viable technology either.  And I think we did move on...might be why we got behind...because  people weren't as trusting after Solandra. At least in the government involvement in it with our tax dollars.

Lobo

Jan 26, 2018, 4:14:39 PM1/26/18
to political...@googlegroups.com
<<No body said it wasn't a viable technology either.  And I think we did move on...might be why we got behind...because  people weren't as trusting after Solandra. At least in the government involvement in it with our tax dollars.>>

The same people (the Koch Bros, GOP politicians, and the right wing media) who did an all-out assault on Solyndra loan guarantees didn't and don't seem to have a problem with government loan guarantees to fossil and nuclear fuels projects, like the $3.7 billion guarantee for nuclear Plant Vogtle in my own state (from the same Energy Dept program that guaranteed Solyndra loans).

Five myths about the Solyndra collapse

By Brad Plumer September 14, 2011

(Bill O’Leary/The Washington Post)

There are still plenty of nagging questions about the collapse of Solyndra, the California-based solar-panel maker that went bankrupt last month after getting $535 million worth of loan guarantees from the Obama administration. Such as: Did the Energy Department fail to do due diligence? And did the White House intervene inappropriately in pressing for the loan guarantees?

But as Solyndra becomes the newest political chew toy, there’s been no shortage of hyperbole about the affair — especially over what it means for energy policy more broadly. On Tuesday, for example, Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL), who chairs the oversight subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said that Solyndra’s downfall proves “that green energy isn’t going to be the solution.” That’s quite a leap. So here’s a look at five overheated arguments about Solyndra’s bust:

1) This scandal is no big deal. To the contrary, evidence is mounting that there was something irregular about the way the Solyndra deal got greenlighted. My colleagues Joe Stephens and Carol D. Leonnig have obtained e-mails showing that the White House pressed the Office of Management and Budget to hurry up in reviewing the deal (note, however, that this only came after the Energy Department had approved the loan), even as OMB officials voiced concern about being rushed.

Does that prove the White House engaged in cronyism, shoveling cash toward a political ally? Not necessarily. Democrats have pointed out that Solyndra’s loan process was initiated by the Bush administration and that many key investors were Republicans. Still, there could have been other reasons the deal was hastened. As a former Clinton energy aide stressed to me, it was arguably a mistake to sell the loan guarantees as job-creating stimulus (the program was expanded as part of the 2009 stimulus bill). “It means you try to force huge amounts of money quickly through processes that aren’t quite ready yet,” the aide said. “It’d be better to have a calmer, steadier source of funding.”

2) Solyndra proves that energy-loan guarantees are a flop. Not exactly. The Energy Department’s loan-guarantee program, enacted in 2005 with bipartisan support, has backed nearly $38 billion in loans for 40 projects around the country. Solyndra represents just 1.3 percent of that portfolio — and, as yet, it’s the only loan that has soured. Other solar beneficiaries, such as SunPower and First Solar, are still going strong. Meanwhile, just a small fraction of loan guarantees go toward solar. The program’s biggest bet to date is an $8.33 billion loan guarantee for a nuclear plant down in Georgia. Improper political influence in the process is disturbing, but, at least so far, Solyndra appears an exception, not a rule. (That said, the GAO and others have pointed out potential pitfalls and the need for stricter oversight in the loan program.)

3) The government should leave energy R&D to the private sector. Actually, there’s reason to think the private market is drastically under-investing in new energy technology. As a new report from the American Energy Innovation Council lays out, the utility sector spends just 0.1 percent of its revenues on R&D — the average for U.S. industries is 3.5 percent. The electricity sector is heavily regulated and capital-intensive — power plants last for decades and turn over slowly — and hence tends to focus less on innovation. What’s more, many objectives that may be in the public interest, such as reducing carbon emissions, aren’t fully valued in the marketplace right now.

As such, the AEIC report concludes, “Energy innovation should be a higher national priority.” Right now, the federal government spends a middling amount on energy research (about $3 billion in 2009), compared with the sums lavished on the National Institutes of Health ($36.5 billion) or defense research ($77 billion). And the AEIC report recommends public support for all aspects of the innovation process, from basic research to pilot projects to helping companies commercialize their products. (Solyndra was in that last phase.)

4) Solar is a doomed industry. This view has been gaining popularity, but it’s not borne out by the numbers. Prices for solar photovoltaic modules continue to tumble, even as fossil-fuel prices rise. A June reportby Ernst & Young suggests that large-scale solar could become cost-competitive within a decade, even without government support. Of course, grid operators still have to grapple with the fact that the sun doesn’t always shine, but storage technologies continue to improve — in July, a solar plant in Seville, Spain, achieved continuous 24-hour operation using molten salt storage. All told, some 24,000 MW worth of projects are in the pipeline in the United States, led by California. Those projects may not all get completed, but that’s a lot of growth underway.

5) It’s all China’s fault. This one is complicated. China does provide hefty subsidies to its solar industry. As Climate Progress’s Stephen Lacey details, the Chinese Development Bank offers cheap long-term loans to domestic manufacturers that dwarf anything Solyndra ever got. That allows Chinese solar companies to offer cutthroat prices and drive competitors out. And yet, as Westinghouse Solar CEO Barry Cinnamon explains, it wasn’t China that caused Solyndra to go belly-up — the company had invented a solar panel that didn’t use silicon, unlike its competitors, and foundered after silicon prices plummeted.

What’s more, the fact that China hurls money at solar isn’t necessarily a bad thing, since cheaper solar prices can benefit the United States too. The Energy Department seems to have recognized that going toe-to-toe with China on direct subsidies may be futile and is instead trying to focus on complementary efforts to bolster innovation, through programs like its Sunshot Initiative. Also, for all China’s subsidy frenzy, the United States still exported $1.9 billion of solar products last year and actually has a trade surplus in solar with China.

Navy

Jan 26, 2018, 4:18:34 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
You're starting to sound like bifferfuck....Koch this , Koch that....check yourself Lobo...don't fall into that dark hole.

PirateLT

Jan 26, 2018, 4:19:40 PM1/26/18
to Political Euwetopia
He who wins the AI race owns the world............period.

plainolamerican

Jan 26, 2018, 4:21:58 PM1/26/18
to political...@googlegroups.com

Washington (CNN)More than 60 years after a space race rivalry with the Soviet Union ushered in a new era of ballistic missile development, the US is facing another "Sputnik moment" amid a rapidly escalating international competition over artificial intelligence, according to former Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert Work.

The idea that rapid advances in artificial intelligence will define the next generation of warfare -- a concept known as the "Third Offset Strategy" -- was first articulated by former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel in 2014.
Possible AI applications for the military include: creating more nimble systems, possibly at lower cost; developing more effective training systems; software that processes mountains of data from surveillance systems or for "pattern-of-life" surveillance; improved facial recognition capabilities; war games support and automated combat in so-called manned-unmanned operations, according to a September report from the RAND Corporation.
    But a new report published Wednesday and provided exclusively to CNN by Work and Govini, a data and analytics firm that conducts government analysis, warns that the US military must now decide if it wants to "lead the coming revolution, or fall victim to it" amid emerging challenges from China and Russia.
    "This stark choice will be determined by the degree to which the Department of Defense (DoD) recognizes the revolutionary military potential of AI and advanced autonomous systems," the report said.
    Specifically, the White House and Pentagon must determine the extent to which the US will ramp up research and development in technologies associated with artificial intelligence -- including advanced computing, artificial neural networks, big data, machine learning, unmanned systems and robotics, it said.
    The US must also determine a national strategy for how aggressively it will develop new systems, operational concepts and organizational constructs that exploit artificial intelligence advancements in warfare, according to the report.
    An important part of that strategy relates to "autonomy" which results "from delegation of a decision to an authorized entity to take action within specific boundaries," Work told CNN.

    The technology

    While critics have often warned against the development of autonomous offensive weaponry for fear of losing operational control, Work told CNN that the US pursuit of "narrow AI" will always prioritize human control but allow the machine to "independently compose and select among different courses of action to accomplish assigned goals based on its knowledge and understanding of the world, itself, and the situation."
    "They are worried about the Terminator, but the US view is more like the Iron Man," Work said in reference to the Marvel superhero who is a man equipped with a powerful and adaptable suit of armor.
    The US has already begun to apply elements of AI to military platforms and strategy -- a move perhaps no more evident than in its investment in the $400 billion F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
    Combining an array of sensors and software used to quickly collect data and interpret data, the F-35 "is the key example of human elaboration," Work told CNN.
    "It sucks up data and portrays that to the pilot in a way they couldn't have done on their own," he added, calling the aircraft a "perfect example of human-machine collaboration" that should be applied to other military platforms.
    But despite some success in implementing AI technology to date, Work told CNN that he does not "don't believe our national response is nearly good enough to this point."

    The race

    Both China and Russia have recently highlighted the importance of artificial intelligence to the future of the global economy and military power.
    Speaking to students during a national "open lesson" in September, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the country that takes the lead in the sphere of computer-based artificial intelligence will rule.
    "Artificial intelligence is the future not only of Russia but of all of mankind," said Putin. "There are huge opportunities, but also threats that are difficult to foresee today."
    The words of the Russian President echo what scientists in Russia and around the world have been mulling over for quite some time.
    Work on developing drones and vehicles for military and civilian usage is well under way in Russia, according to state media.
    The Russian military is also developing robots, anti-drone systems, and cruise missiles that would be able to analyze radars and make decisions on the altitude, speed and direction of their flight, according to state media.
    And in July, the Chinese government published a detailed road map outlining a national plan to prioritize the development and application of AI -- a move Work said he considers a "Sputnik moment."
    "Artificial intelligence has become the new focus of international competition. Artificial intelligence is the strategic technology that leads the future," the Chinese government publication said.
    "The major developed countries in the world regard the development of artificial intelligence as a major strategy to enhance their national competitiveness and safeguard their national security," it added.
    China's hopes to lead the world in AI technologies by directly linking defense and commercial development.

    The funding

    While DOD and Silicon Valley have recently invested in AI research and development, relying on American commercial research and development is not going to be enough, according to Work.
    The US has lacked a clear plan to keep pace with foreign rivals despite predictions that AI "has the potential to be a transformative national security technology, on a par with nuclear weapons, aircraft, computers, and biotech," according to a recent study by Greg Allen of Harvard's Belfer Center for Science and International studies.
    But according to Work and Govini, Wednesday's report aims to help build the foundation of a national response to, what they view, as a clear challenge by foreign powers.
    By providing an analysis of government spending on key components of AI between 2012 and 2017, the report provides guidance for defense leaders and the White House on how the US should respond to challenges from China and others, Work said.
    And while the report generally concludes that DOD is "putting its money where its mouth is" when it comes to the Third Offset Strategy, Work told CNN that there is still "a long way to go."
    The report's analysis of unclassified government spending on AI over the last five years indicates that DOD is focusing on collecting data and applying it to two primary components of the offset strategy: virtual reality (simulations and training technology) and computer vision (the data that tells a system what to strike and not to strike).
    While important foundational elements of artificial intelligence, the US must begin to prioritize measures toward applying those advancements toward mission concepts, according to Matt Hummer of Govini.
    DOD should increase its investment in "advanced computing" technology -- which represents the lynchpin for broader application -- and analytical technology -- which is used to display information to a human operator, he said.
    Further development of the Cloud -- a critical part of increasing processing speed -- is also an area the US should emphasize, he said.
    Ultimately, an emphasis on prioritizing artificial intelligence spending is going to "require a national response led from the White House," according to Work.
    "This is designed, I hope, to not only help DOD leaders to think about what to invest in but help the White House to think about broad contours of a national response," he said.

    PirateLT

    Jan 26, 2018, 4:24:02 PM1/26/18
    to Political Euwetopia
    You are such a warmonger. AI is so much more than that.  AI is talked about in companies everywhere.

    On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:21:58 PM UTC-7, plainolamerican wrote:

[...]

      Richard Quest discusses Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg's views on A.I. with a physics professor

      Musk, Zuckerberg feud over future of AI 05:05

      plainolamerican

      Jan 26, 2018, 4:45:38 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      You are such a warmonger.
      ---
      accusation noted and laughed at.

       AI is so much more than that.  AI is talked about in companies everywhere.
      ---
      really?

      it's too bad you still haven't learned to take criticism of the US with some objectivity ... it might do you good.

      Image result for laughing at America
      Image result for laughing at America
      Related image
      Image result for laughing at America
      Related image
      Related image
      Image result for laughing at America
      Related image

      PirateLT

      Jan 26, 2018, 4:46:49 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      I was an Oracle Conference over the summer and it was all about AI...........Just got back from another conference and AI was the topic.  Saw some cool AI stuff.

      Lobo

      Jan 26, 2018, 5:21:44 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      <<You're starting to sound like bifferfuck....Koch this , Koch that....check yourself Lobo...don't fall into that dark hole.>>

      They're not just symbols of everything I hate, though they're that too. The fact is that oil money megabillionaires Charles and David Koch, Koch money, and Koch-funded groups like "Americans For Prosperity" and the "American Legislative Exchange Council" (ALEC) ARE behind a great deal of right wingery in America. And that includes the all-out assault on solar panels and alternative energy in general, and Solyndra in particular.

      Solyndra

      In 2011 and 2012, during Obama's re-election campaign, the political advocacy group Americans for Prosperity spent $8.4 million in swing states on television advertisements denouncing the loan guarantee.[2] The Wall Street Journal described the advertising campaign as "perhaps the biggest attack on Mr. Obama so far."[38][39]

      American Legislative Exchange Council

      In 2013, ALEC planned legislation that would weaken state clean energy regulations and penalize homeowners who install their own solar panels and redistribute the electricity back into the grid, whom ALEC has described as "freeriders" because they do not pay for the infrastructure costs of recirculating their generated power.[84]

      Americans for Prosperity

      Energy and environment[edit]

      AFP supports oil and gas development and opposes regulation, including environmental restrictions.[151] The AFP Foundation opposed President Obama's efforts to address global warming.[152] AFP was important in creating the Tea Party movement and in encouraging the movement to focus on climate change.[153] AFP helped defeat proposed U.S. legislation embracing cap and trade, a market-based approach to control pollution by providing economic incentives.[29][154] In August 2009, Mother Jones magazine identified cap and trade as one of the key domestic policy goals of the Obama administration, and identified AFP as one of the most prominent groups in opposition.[155]

      In 2008, AFP circulated the No Climate Tax Pledge to government officials at the federal, state, and local levels, a pledge to "oppose any legislation relating to climate change that includes a net increase in government revenue."[154][156][157][158] By July 2013, 411 lawmakers and candidates, including a quarter of U.S. Senators and more than a third of U.S. Representatives, primarily Republicans, had signed the pledge.[154] Of the twelve Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee in 2011, nine signed the pledge.[38]

      AFP held more than eighty events in opposition to cap and trade,[9] including the nationwide Hot Air Tour, which involved floating hot air balloons in protest of what AFP described as "global warming alarmism."[27] AFP raised a balloon in Phoenix, Arizona, in fall 2008[159] and also over Al Gore's house in Tennessee.[29] AFP described cap and trade as “the largest excise tax in history.” AFP sponsored a Regulation Reality Tour to foment opposition to climate change legislation and federal regulation of carbon emissions.[160] The tour involved fake "carbon cops" with badges in green Smart cars with flashing lights who wrote citations for "carbon crimes" like running a lawn mower.[161] In 2011, AFP launched a Running on Empty website and national tour featuring a 14-foot inflatable gas pump intended to link rising gas prices to the Obama administration’s environmental regulations and to promote offshore drilling for oil.[162][163] Long lines formed in several states in 2012 when AFP offered drivers gas discounted to the price in effect when Obama took office.[145][164][165][166] In 2012, AFP campaigned against Republican political candidates who acknowledged the science of climate change.[167]

      AFP advocates for the construction of the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline. In February 2015, AFP organized supporters to telephone the White House urging Obama to sign legislation authorizing the project.[168] AFP led an effort to repeal a federal tax credit for wind power.[169][170] In Kansas, Ohio, North Carolina, and other states, AFP campaigned to overturn renewable portfolio standards, state laws that mandated a percentage of the state's electricity come from renewable resources.[171][172][173][174] AFP announced plans to oppose Republican candidates who support a carbon tax in the 2016 presidential primaries.[175]

      Lobo

      Jan 26, 2018, 5:25:01 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      <<He who wins the AI race owns the world............period.>>

      A world not worth owning if we don't concentrate foremost on keeping it green, clean and habitable. I don't know of anything on Earth that is more valuable than the Earth itself.

      plainolamerican

      Jan 26, 2018, 5:44:13 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      yeah ... AI is interesting yet illusive phrase.
      it's going to be fun watching people pretend to the experts in the field.

      How to Be Seen as an Expert in Artificial Intelligence

      Let’s face it: even if you’ve seen Bladerunner 2049 a few times you probably don’t truly understand the future of AI. But don’t let a lack of knowledge stop you from being seen as an AI industry expert. Here are 10 ways to be viewed as someone at the forefront of the AI revolution.

      1. Never say “Artificial Intelligence,” always say “AI”

      If someone says “artificial intelligence,” correct them by saying, “don’t you mean, AI?” You’ll immediately appear more well-read on the subject than any of your colleagues.

      2. Offer to develop your company’s AI offering

      When this honor is bestowed on you, simply take your company’s Digital or Cloud offering and Find All and Replace “Digital/Cloud” with “AI” and…hey presto – you’re an innovation leader. This will earn precious kudos in time for the all important year end performance review.

      3. Casually throw around complicated concepts

      When speaking to co-workers, casually throw around terms like: algorithm, up-skilling, and machine learning to show you are both leading and following your company’s direction – whatever the hell that means.

      4. Suggest using the Voight-Kampff empathy test in your company’s hiring process

      Suggest HR start including the Voigt-Kampff empathy test in your company’s hiring process to help root out unfeeling, cold replicants from the new human hires. But don’t be surprised if your HR rep fails the test themselves.

      5. Ask powerful questions

      Expert in Artificial Intelligence

      Ask powerful questions in meetings such as: “Could a bot do this?” or “Can we gamify this?”. These questions show that AI is always top-of-mind for you and soon people will be referring to you as “our resident AI guru.” However, never ask out loud “What exactly is a bot?” or “What’s our communication strategy for the machines?” or “Just because we can do this, does it mean we should do this?” These questions make you seem like you don’t care enough about dominating the future.

      6. Add key AI terms to your business title

      Use your new expertise in AI to add oomph to your job title for tech conferences. For example, if you’re a Senior Analyst, change that to Senior Robotics Analyst. Or, if you’re a Business Consultant, change that to AI Business Consultant. Or if you’re a Sales Assistant change that to Machine Learning Sales Assistant. Don’t worry, people will be too scared to ask you what it means.

      7. Calculate which team members could be replaced by Voice Assistant Device

      Help drive efficiencies and add to that all important bottom line by calculating which team members could be replaced by a Voice Assistant device. Use this simple formula to help you quantify:

      [Employee salary + Pension + medical]- Cost of device x No. of original thoughts employee has generated at work per annum / No. of working hours spent on non-work related social media.

      Share your findings with the team in a brief memo. Then sit back and let the “Wow! Insightful!” replies pour in.

      8. Begin regularly wearing a VR headset

      Join all video conference calls wearing a VR headset. You can quickly make your own VR headset by covering a View Master in white cardboard. Stand back and bask in the glory as co-workers marvel at your bleeding edge technology.

      9. Become irreplaceable

      The secret fear everyone has is that as robots are increasingly used to automate repetitive tasks there will be nothing left for us humans to do. However, the only part of our working day that robots can’t replace is chatting about AI at the water cooler and visiting the bathroom. The more you do this, the less replaceable you become. And of course, the more time you spend at the water cooler, the more you’ll need to visit the bathroom, thus filling your working day even more.

      10. When in doubt, do the robot

      Not to be confused with “doing a robot” which is an entirely different activity and should not be attempted in the workplace.

      PirateLT

      Jan 26, 2018, 6:45:30 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      Like I said we can buy solar from others.  AI ownership is where it is.

      PirateLT

      Jan 26, 2018, 6:46:18 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      It is going to be fun watching the world change quick.  I will be prepared, will you?  And no I am not talking about stocking food and weapons.

      Lobo

      Jan 26, 2018, 8:30:58 PM1/26/18
      to Political Euwetopia
      <<
      Like I said we can buy solar from others.  AI ownership is where it is.>>

      Unless AI ends up owning us...