Best way to learn "into"

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 4, 2013, 12:23:30 PM8/4/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
"into" is one of 1000 most common english words. As I copied it from Fly, in StenoTutor the corresponding chord is currently defined as "EUPB/TO". However there are other one-stroke definitions for it.
Question: which chord would be the best for a newbie to learn? If there isn't a universal answer, isn't it better to use one of the single-chord definitions?

Thank you, Emanuele.

Mirabai Knight

Aug 4, 2013, 11:48:32 PM8/4/13
to ploversteno
Hi! "into" is one of those funny words that is so common it's arguably
better written with a single stroke, but you can also construct it
using two other strokes (the in- prefix and the word to), which is
also perfectly valid. I think it's best taught as a single stroke,
though. Have you looked at the word categorization dictionary used in
Fly?

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fly-developers/flyploverfly/trunk/view/head:/fly/data/dicts/word_category.json

I attempted to take several thousand of the most common definitions in
the Plover dictionary and divide them up by brief, canonical,
alternative, misstroke. Most canonical words are phonetic, but a few
are briefs, just because they're so extremely common.
> --

Mirabai Knight, CCP, RMR, CBC
StenoKnight CART Services
917 576 4989
m...@stenoknight.com
http://stenoknight.com

Carol Berk

Aug 5, 2013, 12:13:42 AM8/5/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I always wrote into as nao.  Don't know if that is helpful or not.

Sent from my iPad

Mirabai Knight

Aug 5, 2013, 12:19:26 AM8/5/13
to ploversteno
Yeah, the single stroke version of into is TPHAO. It's a brief, and I
usually argue for people learning chords phonetically before they
learn the brief forms, because it means less up-front memorization
when they have a logical phonetic hook to hang their memory off of,
but in the case of the very most common words (the, it, go, about,
from, etc.), it makes more sense to learn the briefs for those rather
than having to write them all phonetically. Especially since so many
of them can be word parts as well as the words themselves, which can
cause potential issues with boundary errors. So if you use "T-" for
"it" instead of "EUT", it won't conflict with words like Italy,
iterate, etc.

Of the 100 most common English words:
http://www.duboislc.net/EducationWatch/First100Words.html

I'd say that about half are best written as non-phonetic one-stroke
briefs, rather than phonetically.

A.D.

Aug 5, 2013, 1:44:42 PM8/5/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Emanuele,

The brief for "into" that I learned in StenEd is SPWAO.  I like it because you can also stroke "into the" as SPWAO-T.  It's similar to the StenEd stroke for "enter," SPWR, so for me at least, it serves as a mnemonic device.

I hope this helps!

A.D.

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 6:39:17 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for all these info, this topic is very interesting for beginners like me!

Mirabai, yes I noticed the category dictionary some time ago, it's very cool, and I thought that it would be useful for StenoTutor someday, and I am actually thinking about using it together with plover dictionary to show all alternative definitions together with their category in addition to the lesson definition. This would make the learning process more interactive, and let everyone decide what's best to memorize for them. I think this would be especially useful in steno where there appear to be dozens of theories and sub-theories, and millions of different personal preferences.

Emanuele.

Mirabai Knight

Aug 6, 2013, 7:45:27 PM8/6/13
to ploversteno
Ooh, that would be very cool. Yeah, in terms of steno tutorial tools
I've been encouraging them to be compatible with Plover theory first,
since it's default dictionary that comes with the software, but it
would be great to make them as theory-agnostic as possible, or at the
very least to be modular, and allow people to plug in the tutorial
material that matches their specific theories and dictionaries at
will. StenoTutor and Fly are both really well designed to accommodate
that, thankfully.

My only other big feature request for StenoTutor is a web-based high
score table! I think people would find it really motivating to see how
their practice times, speeds, and accuracy rates compared to other
people, and now that Plover is starting to take off I think we have
enough people that it would actually make sense. If anyone wants to
code in a function that sends results from StenoTutor to an online
high score table, I'll happily host it on stenoknight.com!

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 7:46:01 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to add that I would be happy to hear from you if you have ideas about this or any thoughts you want to share that might help shape the feature.
By the way, this feature would also be needed for the hystogram mode feature requested by Mirabai here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ploversteno/pFTYmNDPYSs/bQk2Pe-2CJUJ

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 8:05:21 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Cool, it would be nice to have an online score table! Very motivating!

I am concerned though about integrating StenoTutor with proprietary/third-party services.
If we can find a good, free and open source scoring server framework (no big doubts about this), would you be willing to host that as well, at least initially, or maybe you think this will take too much bandwidth?

Thank you, Emanuele.

Mirabai Knight

Aug 6, 2013, 8:06:42 PM8/6/13
to ploversteno
Sure! I'm not too worried about bandwidth at this point. We're still a
relatively small community. And if I have to upgrade at some point,
I'm okay with that. (':

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Emanuele Caruso
<emanuel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool, it would be nice to have an online score table! Very motivating!

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 8:07:20 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe too much a hassle?

Hesky Fisher

Aug 6, 2013, 8:11:43 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 8:22:06 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hesky,
thank you for the link, I already used that. But that doesn't look to be free, or am I missing something? All repositories of Scoreoid on github are about complementary stuff, not the real thing.

Emanuele.

Mirabai Knight

Aug 6, 2013, 8:24:11 PM8/6/13
to ploversteno
Looks like it's free-as-in-beer for now, with bandwidth-linked premium
plans to be added soon. I have no problem with paying a certain amount
per month to link to their servers when the premium shift happens, but
if you want to stick to your open source principles, I understand. (':

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 8:35:19 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, glad you understand! In this discussion, I'm not advocating not using proprietary software at all (maybe one day...), but for StenoTutor I'd never link it to a third-party service. By the way StenoTutor is free, so anyone is free to modify it to use Scoreoid or whatever... I hope we will finally stick to my proposal, but I wouldn't go mad if that doesn't happen, because the license clearly allows that ;)

Emanuele Caruso

Aug 6, 2013, 10:16:55 PM8/6/13
to plove...@googlegroups.com
This is a service which uses a free software as backend, launched by openfeint co-founder Peter Relan (apparently at the begin of this year): http://openkit.io/
Even if it is third-party, it would still give us the freedom to very easily switch to a self-hosted solution for whatever reason that might be needed in the future.

I will look deeper into this when I will start coding the feature, if nobody anticipates me, but this looks like a viable solution, and more easy for you to host on your website, like you initially proposed.

Thank you, Emanuele.