What is the best setup if I don't want to wait for Stenosaurus?

Mark Klingman

Nov 27, 2015, 6:19:31 PM11/27/15
to Plover
Hi all,

I've been waiting to learn Plover until I could get a dedicated keyboard. It seemed like the one to go for was the Stenosaurus, but that particular project seems to be stalled in development.

What in your opinion is the best dedicated Plover-style keyboard if I don't want to wait?

Cheers, MK

Achim Siebert

Nov 27, 2015, 7:31:31 PM11/27/15
to Plover
Look for a used Stentura 400 SRT, Elan Cybra, Tréal or similar. Everything else would be a crutch if you want to seriously learn steno. It's possible to get along with a Stenoboard for a while, but it's simply not comparable. I spent about 400 € for a Cybra (including high p&p to Europe and taxes) - and I'm glad I did that. The Stenosaurus seems dead, or maybe it's already been bought by Stenograph like so many others before (which would be a shame, they apparently want to keep their monopoly with outrageously overpriced products instead of trying to make steno machines a mass gadget that everybody could try).

Mirabai Knight

Nov 27, 2015, 7:57:34 PM11/27/15
to ploversteno, Joshua Lifton

The Stenosaurus is not dead, and it SURE AS HELL has not been bought by Stenograph. Over my dead body!!

Josh is just so busy with his day job that it's been delayed a bit. But it is very much in the works!!! Fear not.

Achim Siebert

Nov 27, 2015, 8:31:27 PM11/27/15
to Plover, joshua...@crowdsupply.com
That's a relief! They told us they would get it out this year, though ... not much time left!

Theodore Morin

Nov 27, 2015, 8:35:08 PM11/27/15
to Plover

Keep your hopes up :) I'm excited to get one too. Sexy wood steno machine, beautiful machines aluminum keys. Can't wait.

Robert Fontaine

Nov 27, 2015, 8:37:17 PM11/27/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer a less sexy plastic machine, with PBT keys with less price and less wait ;)

I've got planck parts on order to diy.   Life always interferes with hobbies.

Theodore Morin

Nov 27, 2015, 8:44:06 PM11/27/15
to Plover

Maybe you could mail word technologies and ask if they sell their key caps. They fit on cherry stems

Paul Beaudet

Nov 27, 2015, 8:49:46 PM11/27/15
to Plover
I might build mine out of legos and Arduino plus make some instructions. Not sure how well it will work, but I guess if anyone is going to do something like that it will be me. I'm waiting to get up to speed before building anything. Might be a while, only just got to 15 wpm.

Using the quick fire tk was a bit tough starting off but at this point it's not bad. Im sure a proper thing would be better, but the learning curve is so high might as well see if it will work out with an 80 dollar keyboard first. Really it's more of an ergonomics issue than anything i'm sure most people are used to contorting their fingers with qwerty anyhow.

Took a while but I just typed this with the tk and Plover. I would say if you're interested start sooner than later.

Mark Klingman

Nov 28, 2015, 9:54:19 AM11/28/15
to Plover
I appreciate all the replies. Will check out the options you've all mentioned but keep my fingers crossed on the Stenosaurus.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Glen Warner

Nov 28, 2015, 7:37:02 PM11/28/15
to Plover
Has anybody actually heard from anybody at Word Technologies? I notice they're still talking about Tellitor, which has been dead for about three years now.

--gdw

Theodore Morin

Nov 28, 2015, 7:39:00 PM11/28/15
to Plover

Yes I had an email thread with Dan just this week

clickclack123

Nov 28, 2015, 11:58:59 PM11/28/15
to Plover
I'm really happy with my Ergodox running TMK firmware using Plover, although I've been very lazy on the practicing.

Ty Griffin

Dec 18, 2015, 11:34:56 PM12/18/15
to Plover
The ErgoDox keyboard is a great option. It can be angled for comfort and in my experience just really works well with Plover.  Depending on what you end up getting, it may require some tinkering with the firmware.  By tinkering I mean finding and installing a different version of firmware, not rewriting it. This might be required for full NKRO.  After that it's a dream. And as an aside, it's the best QWERTY keyboard I've ever used. Love at first clack.

Ty

dragon788

Dec 19, 2015, 11:13:01 AM12/19/15
to Plover
Ted, have you asked them about additional caps for your machine? I would definitely be interested in picking up a full set and a couple extras to try on my ErgoDox or a custom steno like the 3D printed one with MX switches.

Theodore Morin

Dec 19, 2015, 11:26:04 AM12/19/15
to Plover
I haven't asked, I'll do that now and report back when I hear back.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM dragon788 <drag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ted, have you asked them about additional caps for your machine? I would definitely be interested in picking up a full set and a couple extras to try on my ErgoDox or a custom steno like the 3D printed one with MX switches.

Mike S

Dec 19, 2015, 5:21:50 PM12/19/15
to Plover
I'm making my own. I'm basically using a typically planck layout, extended it to fit my hands and to fit the thumb placement that I like. I had it laser cut out of acrylic and now I'm waiting on my 3d printer dude to make the keycaps I found off of shapeways. I will likely just order some curves and flats from the Soft Hruf project. I just need to make sure that they will fit the spacing of my switch cutouts.

I'm going to add a plywood base with some hangover to fit everything.

stenoboardplates.jpg

Theodore Morin

Dec 19, 2015, 7:03:27 PM12/19/15
to Plover

Daniel (from Word Technologies Treal) got back to me.

"I do have some spare keycaps that I could send out, while supplies last.  I'd do that for $45 for the set to cover time, cc fees and shipping charges to get them out.  Credit Cards or checks would do."

Message him at da...@msn.com

On Dec 19, 2015 5:21 PM, "Mike S" <mwsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm making my own. I'm basically using a typically planck layout, extended it to fit my hands and to fit the thumb placement that I like. I had it laser cut out of acrylic and now I'm waiting on my 3d printer dude to make the keycaps I found off of shapeways. I will likely just order some curves and flats from the Soft Hruf project. I just need to make sure that they will fit the spacing of my switch cutouts.

I'm going to add a plywood base with some hangover to fit everything.

Harvey

Dec 20, 2015, 6:40:03 PM12/20/15
to Plover
Honestly, the best setup if you have the space would be a real steno machine on a tripod. I bought my Stentura 400 SRT for relatively cheap, and I see them every so often on eBay for around $100. I think so long as you're careful you can get a good deal like I did, and I even think I overpaid for it. Still, $240 is less than the Stenosaurus will probably be, and the Stenoboard costs that much and you still have to put it together when it arrives. Just make sure it's compatible with Plover and that it has the wide key options and you're good.

Scott Urueta

Dec 20, 2015, 7:49:23 PM12/20/15
to Plover
If you're curious about the soft hruf switch spacing, they're originally designed for evenly spaced 3 mm gaps between the matias mounting holes. Anything above that should be OK until it reaches a point where the gap begins to make it uncomfortable to actuate two switches with one finger. This is a very compact spacing, so it will not be ideal unless compact is something you are aiming for.

Mike S

Dec 20, 2015, 8:35:10 PM12/20/15
to Plover
I was going to buy a 200 SRT but I wanted something that aesthetically fit the rest of my computer gear. I also wanted to make my own. Funny enough I've spent as much as a used ebay 200 SRT cost just on a 90 pack of switches and laser cutting!

dragon788

Dec 21, 2015, 12:22:22 AM12/21/15
to Plover
Thanks Ted, I shot him an email. Also excited to report I just got an email that my ErgoDox EZ has shipped, so once I get an NKRO firmware on there I'll be jumping headlong into learning way too many new input styles. :)

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 6:03:27 PM UTC-6, Ted Morin wrote:

Daniel (from Word Technologies Treal) got back to me.

"I do have some spare keycaps that I could send out, while supplies last.  I'd do that for $45 for the set to cover time, cc fees and shipping charges to get them out.  Credit Cards or checks would do."

I'm making my own. I'm basically using a typically planck layout, extended it to fit my hands and to fit the thumb placement that I like. I had it laser cut out of acrylic and now I'm waiting on my 3d printer dude to make the keycaps I found off of shapeways. I will likely just order some curves and flats from the Soft Hruf project. I just need to make sure that they will fit the spacing of my switch cutouts.

Harvey

Dec 21, 2015, 6:04:32 AM12/21/15
to Plover
I really would advise against buying a 200 SRT. Those will work with Plover, but they have very stiff keys due to their purpose as a mechanical writer. It just so happens to have realtime capabilities, but they're not very good due to how awful the keys feel relative to electric writers. The Stentura 400 SRT isn't like that; it has a much lighter touch, though it can be switched into a mechanical mode through a lever on the inside of the machine.

Scott Urueta

Dec 21, 2015, 1:46:06 PM12/21/15
to Plover
Would the keys on a 200 SRT likely be smoother if I gut all the parts that are only relevant for manual writing? I am interested in trying out a real steno machine to get an idea of key spacing and such and I found a 200 SRT for $45.

Scott Urueta

Jan 2, 2016, 12:42:00 PM1/2/16
to Plover
I have both and it turns out you can have the lighter touch without any real modification. At that point, the only benefit a 400 SRT would have is the battery pack if you can find one used with a working battery pack.

The lever that would hold up the little arm that rolls the platen on each keypress on the 400 SRT does not exist on the 200 SRT, but you can have a functional equivalent by simply jamming in a small item to hold it up because the internals are otherwise extremely similar. I'm going to try 3D printing a little piece that can fit in that spot more easily soon and post pictures of what I mean in case anyone is interested.

Harvey

Jan 2, 2016, 8:46:38 PM1/2/16
to Plover
That's really interesting. I guess if you can find a cheap 200 SRT, then it's worth it for that simple modification. That's good to know.

Scott Urueta

Jan 2, 2016, 9:26:58 PM1/2/16
to Plover

I went ahead and took photos of exactly what I mean in case anyone else wants to do it.

Here is a 200 SRT:

Below is a 400 SRT with the electric mode lever enabled:

Now we have the 200 SRT with a bit of scrap plastic stuffed underneath the arm. The touch feels identical to the 400 SRT when it is like this:

Mike S

Jan 3, 2016, 2:24:39 PM1/3/16
to Plover
Well, the 3d printing company I found on 3D Hubs lied about being local so it took me 8 days to get my keycaps, which turned out to be total crap! They wouldn't fit and the finish was awful. I had to try and file them down to make them fit but a lot of the stems were destroyed in this process. But here is the HUGE but, they actually feel awesome and I can see the value in creating this type of keycap because they do not feel like a standard keycap at all and when you are doing multiple key presses it feels like a single unit. I might have to see if I can find another local printer who can get me what I want or just go ahead and stick to the original plant and get some caps from Scott. I probably should have just ordered a Soft Hruf but I must build.

Harvey

Jan 3, 2016, 8:38:42 PM1/3/16
to Plover
Thanks for showing us those pictures, Scott. That's really interesting. I wouldn't have ever recommended the 200 before I saw that, but I'm glad that option exists; it makes for a potentially cheap way to get into steno for many people.

Scott Urueta

Jan 5, 2016, 3:46:36 AM1/5/16
to Plover
Oddly enough, it was the previous recommendation not to grab a 200 SRT (after having already ordered one) that made me decide to buy the 400 SRT and realize that the part was identical.

I have been using the extra 200 SRT as a loaner for my friends who have taken an interest.

Kovacsics Róbert

Jan 21, 2016, 9:02:24 AM1/21/16
to Plover
This is amazing, thanks for the tip. Let me add to that, a simple piece of string will suffice too, you have to just pinch the string in the case to keep the lever held up.

Kovacsics Róbert

Jan 21, 2016, 9:03:28 AM1/21/16
to Plover

The first photo is less helpful, this is where I put the string