Live Dissolved Oxygen and Redox Potential Sensor

Jesse S

Apr 4, 2017, 10:30:09 PM4/4/17
to plots-waterquality
https://io.adafruit.com/jesseslone/dashboards/water-quality-sensor

I thought I would share this in case someone is looking for a similar monitoring capability.  I am currently using a NodeMCU board based on the ESP8266, but I will be transferring the project over to Adafruit's feather ecosystem to take advantage of some additional wireless options.  The ESP8266 has some impressive capabilities, like an onboard SSD that can be used for data logging, so that connectivity issues don't disrupt your data, etc.  It also has a sleep mode, as do the Atlas Scientific boards, that could allow the device to run for at least a month on a rechargeable battery.  The code is terrible in its current state, as there are currently no libraries for the Atlas Scientific boards that utilize their I2C capabilities.

These sensors are in a small wastewater treatment system.  The test system does not discharge into waterways, and the treated water is used for landscaping irrigation. I'm trying to find a way to model what is referred to as BOD or biochemical oxygen demand (basically quantify the volume of biological waste) based on how the treatment volume responds to certain events, such as aeration. With that information, treatment parameters can be adjusted to reduce the release of ammonia and other compounds into waterways.

As a side benefit, constant monitoring can reduce pollution events by timely notification of mechanical failures.  I'll try to get it written up as a research note if it would be appropriate.  Next step is adding a feed that indicates when aeration starts and stops so that the data will make a little more sense.

Jeffrey Warren

Apr 6, 2017, 2:46:00 PM4/6/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jesse - a research note would be great, this sounds really interesting!

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Jesse S

Apr 10, 2017, 12:18:19 AM4/10/17
to plots-waterquality, je...@publiclab.org
Thank you Jeff, I did my best to write it up here: /n/14103
I'm having trouble getting the code to show up as code...I tried to go in and find what was conflicting with markdown but I'm not familiar enough with it.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:30 PM, Jesse S <jesse....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Post to this group at plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

Jeffrey Warren

Apr 10, 2017, 1:45:39 PM4/10/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jesse - actually I think the issue with code display is a bug we should attempt to fix -- simply that the current renderer in research notes doesn't recognize code fences. Would you be willing to open an issue for this on our site's GitHub site? https://github.com/publiclab/plots2/issues/new

Thank you!

Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

Jesse S