Re: [plots-dev] Another Sensor Data site bites the dust. Time for P2P?

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 15, 2017, 12:00:46 PM9/15/17
to R.J. Steinert, plots-airquality, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, dorn cox, Michael Stenta, Liz Barry, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to join too, and am cc'ing a couple other lists that may be interested in question of where to store your sensor data long term!

Also, some resources on services to do this:

Overview of a lot of different services (broader than just sensors): https://publiclab.org/notes/warren/02-17-2017/environmental-data-management-analysis-tools

There's not THAT much on our site about these services otherwise but we might use this tag to try to compile it: https://publiclab.org/tag/data-management

Thanks, RJ, liz, everyone!

Jeff

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:35 PM, R.J. Steinert <r...@rjsteinert.com> wrote:
Let's all meet at https://talky.io/another-sensor-data-site-bites-the-dust. Talky.io is like Google Hangouts except the video and audio connection runs P2P in our browsers.

- RJ

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM R.J. Steinert <r...@rjsteinert.com> wrote:

Hi folks,
Sounds like next week works better for most people. Let's aim for next Thursday at 4pm EST.

- RJ

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017, 2:52 PM dorn cox <dorn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for kicking off RJ! This discussion is indeed very timely. Tomorrow is tough for me to join.  If next week is possible, it would be far better for me too.

Dorn Cox
603.781.6030

On Sep 13, 2017 2:24 PM, "Michael Stenta" <mi...@farmier.com> wrote:
Thanks RJ I'd love to join this. I'm available Mon, Thur, Fri next week.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Liz Barry <l...@publiclab.org> wrote:
This is awesome!
I can't make it this week is there a chance we could do it next week?

I'd like to also invite someone like Matt Zumwalt of Protocol Labs to chip in about the protocol IPFS "interplanetary file system" for a content-addressable web and the role of communities and organizations who care about data in peer-to-peer / decentralized file hosting. If he can't do it I can summarize.

Lizzzz

September 12, 2017, R.J. Steinert <r...@rjsteinert.com> wrote:
Hi folks -
It's a shame that data.sparkfun.com is closing it's doors but we all know this isn't the first time we've seen a centralized data service close it's doors. I don't know if I have the silver bullet for us but I have been looking into two promising but very different P2P technologies, Dat and Blockchain. Id be happy to present on how a P2P hosting solution for sensor data might look like and then brainstorm to see if these things r a good fit for a pilot or two in our various use cases.

I cast a wide net here so I'm just going to throw out a time. Let's do 4:30pm EST on Thursday Sept 14.

- RJ

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017, 1:50 PM Liz Barry <l...@publiclab.org> wrote:
Hi folks,
A community member pointed out to me no new streams can be created on data.sparkfun.com because, as the website says "phant.io is taking a break." (see screenshot below)

!

This affects at least one of Public Lab's projects https://github.com/jywarren/grapherate and i'm sure many more around the community -- is anyone else affected by this?

What is the next best place to put sensor data?

RJ, copying you in to ask about Open Pipe Kit http://openpipekit.github.io/index.html#!README.md

Inline image 1
--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

R.J. Steinert

Sep 15, 2017, 2:18:40 PM9/15/17
to Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, dorn cox, Michael Stenta, Liz Barry, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com
Join us for an online hangout discussion around where to store your sensor data long term. Thursday, September 21 2017 at 4pm EST on Talky at https://talky.io/another-sensor-data-site-bites-the-dust

@Jeff Glad to hear you will make it! Nice list you have there!

Sebastian Silva

Sep 19, 2017, 11:06:20 AM9/19/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, dorn cox, Michael Stenta, Liz Barry, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com

I'll try to join you!

I have been experimenting with DAT and I think it's great!

Regards,

Sebastian

--
Post to this group at plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Liz Barry

Sep 19, 2017, 11:20:42 AM9/19/17
Great! We can keep notes on http://pad.publiclab.org/p/opencall

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Liz Barry

Liz Barry

Sep 26, 2017, 1:08:37 PM9/26/17
to Liz Barry, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, dorn cox, Michael Stenta, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
After our call last week I reached out to the Data Together folks to get more information about how useable the stack is at this point. Quick recap, they are working on making the decentralized web more usable for communities to manage their data. The IPFS protocol helps, and so does having a lot of librarians involved.

They've invited anyone who wants to discuss hosting sensor data (either from streams, or from occasional manual uploads) to join their community call this Thursday at 6:30pm ET. I will send out the details here in this thread as soon as they are available.

Anyone else have updates since we spoke last week?

Thanks!
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

Sep 26, 2017, 2:30:17 PM9/26/17
to Liz Barry, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, dorn cox, Michael Stenta, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com
DEETS:

Data Together tech standup

2017-09-28 Thursday

5:30pm Central time / 6:30pm Eastern time

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Michael Stenta

Sep 28, 2017, 9:28:37 AM9/28/17
to Liz Barry, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, dorn cox, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Liz!  Unfortunately I won't be able to make the meeting tonight - wife is in NYC until late so I'm on baby duty.  I might try to listen in though... :-)

Not much to report since the meeting - Chris has been making some great progress towards pulling data from a Campbell datalogger at Wolfes Neck Farm.  We are going to try pushing that to Streamr after it is successfully getting piped into farmOS.  So we'll see how that goes...

-Mike

Liz Barry

Oct 25, 2017, 6:33:06 PM10/25/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, plots-airquality, dorn cox, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Mathew Lippincott, plot...@googlegroups.com, Joaquin Ezcurra
Hey everyone, there's an in-person and remote event happening tomorrow about distributed data storage -- some of it will be meta about running the project itself but perhaps you might like to zoom conference in to the 9am standup to at least get a sense of where things are at? Full information below:

Nov 14, 2017, 10:56:33 AM11/14/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, R.J. Steinert, Jeffrey Warren, dorn cox, Chris E. Kelley, Don Blair, Chris Rowe, Joaquin Ezcurra
Hi folks,
I invited Brendan from Data Together to our 3pm open call today to casually show us around what's possible and what's planned for this decentralized web project that is designed for communities to hold, share, visualize data together (hence the name). It would be great to see you guys again and hear updates from your side as well, it's been a month at least!

Chris Rowe