looking for speakers at special session at SFS 2017 meeting

shi...@stroudcenter.org

Dec 1, 2016, 2:22:44 PM12/1/16
to plots-waterquality

All,

I mentioned this at the Barnraising: I am co-organizing a session at the 2017 Society for Freshwater Science annual meeting (June 4-8, 2017) in Raleigh, NC.  We are looking for speakers for our session who would like to share their work on low-cost, open-source projects used for freshwater science.  If anyone from Public Lab would like to be a speaker, let me know and we can add you to the list of invited talks.  Session title and abstract are posted below.  More information about the meeting can be found here:  http://www.freshwater-science.org/Annual-Meeting/Annual-Meeting.cfm

-Shannon

-------------------------

TITLE:

Conducting freshwater science with open-source, inexpensive technologies

SESSION ORGANIZERS:

Shannon Hicks – Research Engineer, Stroud Water Research Center

David B. Arscott –  Assistant Director, Stroud Water Research Center

Christopher Dutton – PhD Student, Yale University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

ABSTRACT:

Open-source, inexpensive technologies are becoming more commonplace in labs around the world.  The adoption of open-source software (R computing language, Python, etc.) has grown rapidly.  However, the use of open-source hardware (Arduino and others) has not gained significant traction within the water research community.  Open-source hardware has remained within the hobbyist or DIY (Do-It-Yourself) communities.  This is likely due to the initial learning curve of working with open source hardware as well as their availability.  There are increasing resources available on the internet (Arduino.cc, EnviroDIY.org, Publiclab.org) that facilitate lowering that curve as well as several retailers of open-source hardware (Adafruit.com, Sparkfun.com, Seeedstudio.com, etc.) working to spread adoption of these technologies.  We propose a special session on open-source, inexpensive technologies that are being used for water resource studies around the world.  By bringing researchers together who are working on these technologies, we hope to demonstrate what is currently capable while providing the impetus for further innovation and adoption.

Stevie Lewis

Dec 6, 2016, 6:42:08 PM12/6/16
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, Jack Summers
Hi Shannon, what a great opportunity! Thanks for sharing out. CCing Jack Summers who is in NC and has worked on the Potentiostat

Best!
-Stevie

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.