Ipswich River Runs Dry

Will Ward

Aug 19, 2016, 12:11:27 AM8/19/16
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,
Surface water intake for the populated North Shore combined with low rainfall have resulted in the watershed running dry.

http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news

My thoughts:
How will water crises in the eastern US provide case studies & evidence supporting further wastewater reclamation & reuse like in the western US & Orange County?

Rationing water for watering laws seems ridiculous since the habitat is suffering--just stop watering lawns during situations like this.

Pics from Bill Sargent & the Storm Surge Public Forum.

Thx, Will

Screenshot_20160818-225851.png
Screenshot_20160818-225831.png

Liz Barry

Aug 19, 2016, 10:31:45 AM8/19/16
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Will, for this grim news. Any chance you'll be joining us in Vermont for LEAFFEST?

How's the water situation in southeast/appalachia this summer?

Also did you ever get in touch with the person who was moving to Kentucky to work climate change "mesonet" on http://www.kymesonet.org/about.html
--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Will Ward

Aug 20, 2016, 8:05:43 PM8/20/16
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

Hi Liz, I am not a fan of the rivers running dry & avoidable ethnocentric emergencies/disasters. Hopefully, it encourages policy changes.  Some ongoing work in the PIE Rivers Watershed:
http://www.ipswichriver.org/dams/survey-work-begins-ipswich-mills/

http://ipswich-river.org/low-flows-floods/

http://www.ipswichriver.org/current-conditions/

As for the Southeast, I've been in a bubble somewhat--training, compliance, & NetDMR.  Army Corps of Engineers were presenting on drought potential of middle TN reservoirs in Spring.  Rain fall has been steady enough for the greater Nashville area.  Southern TN/AL/GA borders have not had this luck.

I remember an email about mesonet around 2013-2014 but did not get in touch with them.  I'll see what they're doing.

Will

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---