Fwd: FW: IAP course on Oil and Gas Exploration and Production technology

Will Ward

Jan 9, 2017, 10:23:08 AM1/9/17
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Opportunity to discuss environmental perspectives.

Overview of the technologies involved in the upstream oil and gas business and might be of interest to members of the Energy Club, particularly those in the Oil and Gas Community.

Tuesday - Friday, January 17 - 20, 1 - 5 pm, in the Green Building, 54-517.  For the first 2-1/2 sessions we take the students through the technologies of the upstream business - exploration geology and geophysics, drilling, petrophysics, reservoir engineering and production technology.

To illustrate the business we use real data from a major frontier natural gas discovery and in the last day and a half the students break into teams and put together a notional development plan for the field.  In addition to the technology, we place the field in a fictitious country with a new government, a benevolent dictatorship of sorts, and keep tossing different real life problems into the mix that impact the potential development, including environmental and social issues.

I co-teach the class with another Shell retiree.  We each have 40+ years experience in the business so are able to address many aspects of the business and answer questions you might have.  I was initially a geophysicist and retired from Shell in 2009 as a senior executive.  The other instructor, David Murphy is a petrophysicist and since retiring from Shell, he teaches industry courses through PetroSkills.

For completeness, here is the link to the course listing.

From: Sergei Shangin <sha...@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:12 AM
To: mit_oil_and_gas_subcommunity <mit_oil_and_gas_subcommunity@mit.edu>

Dear Oil and Gas community members,

I hope you had a great holiday season!

Please find below the information about one interesting IAP course that will be taught later this month.

Best,
Sergei Shangin
Co-Chair of Oil and Gas Community | MIT Energy Club
2018 MBA Candidate
MIT Sloan School of Management