Troubleshooting WheeStat

Geoffrey Hing

Apr 14, 2017, 12:58:58 PM4/14/17
to plots-waterquality
I purchased a WheeStat kit from the Public Lab Store and was attempting to begin to use the device, but ran into some problems.  If this isn't the appropriate place for these kinds of questions, please refer me to correct place for support for the WheeStat hardware/software.

I attempted to test the device by connecting the alligator clips to a 47 ohm resister as described in the [WheeStat user's manual](https://publiclab.org/wiki/wheestat-user-s-manual) and tried running the ramp experiment.  I saw no output in the plot area.  This is the output that I got in the terminal:

```
mode to run = RAMP
run count = 0
in getFileName
runCount = 0
file name =file_00
getting Params
to getParams[3]
to getParams[4]
got to params[7]
sUnit = 0
got to end of params[10]
got Params
Start run
begin run
,
,
,

,

/
,

,

,

,

,

,

```

Thanks,
Geoff

Stevie Lewis

Apr 21, 2017, 4:59:01 PM4/21/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, Jack Summers
Hi Geoff,
Have you posted this question up on Public Lab? CCing in Jack Summers-  do you have any ideas?

Best!
Stevie

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Jack Summers

Apr 21, 2017, 5:17:17 PM4/21/17
to Stevie Lewis, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

Hi Geoff,

First, 47 ohms is very small for this test, 10 K ohm would be better.

Are you running the experiment from the user interface?  You should be able to open the user interface by double clicking on the exe file that is on the usb memory stick that came with the instrument.  I am not sure whether you can monitor a serial port while the user interface is attached.

Are you perhaps running the instrument by opening the user interface source code in Processing?  If this is the case, then there is a patch that I need to send you to make it work with the most recent version of Processing.

From the output, it looks like the computer is communicating with the instrument.  Is there more text that you see?   The text you copied should have been followed by sets of numbers.

Let me know more about how you set up communication with the WheeStat and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Best,

Jack

--
Post to this group at plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Geoffrey Hing

May 4, 2017, 11:34:03 PM5/4/17
to plots-waterquality, ste...@publiclab.org
Jack,

Thanks for getting back to me about this.  I repeated the ramp experiment using a 10 K ohm resister with the same results.

However, I then switched to Windows 10 and ran the ExeFilesWheeStat6_0d\WheeStat_GUI6_0d\WheeStat6_0d.exe file on the USB drive that came with the WheeStat and it plotted data as expected.

So, it seems like the problem was that the Linux binaries in the GitHub repo are either broken, or don't support my OS (Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit).  I'll proceed by working on Windows.

Best,
Geoff

--
Post to this group at plots-wa...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.