OpenHour today: Plant Filter Kit UTC 17:00 / EST 13:00 / CDT noon / PST 10:00

1 view

Liz Barry

Oct 5, 2015, 9:02:03 AM10/5/15
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, Bronwen Densmore, Shreya Subramani, Nick Shapiro, Gretchen Gehrke
Dear everyone,

Today join Gretchen Gehrke and Nick Shapiro in a conversation on the Plant Remediation Kit, part of the indoor air quality project "Where We Breathe" :D

UTC 17:00
EST 13:00
CDT noon
PST 10:00

Details on the OpenHour page http://publiclab.org/openhour
About 15 minutes before the start time, look for the "Join this call" button, or simply click the video to watch.

This is a simple, experimental kit that you will be able to build on your own for ~US$20 by getting a plant and arranging an air pump (like from an aquarium, or a quiet squirrel cage fan) to pass air through its root zone.

There are several kits in construction right now around the community. By encouraging more people to make plant filters, we aim to test whether these filters work to remove VOCs from indoor air, as has been found in lab tests by NASA.

Here's what we're going to cover today:
  • Quick overview of WWB, origins in post-katrina FEMA trailors
  • slightly more in depth presentation of '70s NASA research on plants
  • show and tell on the basics of how to put a plant filter together
  • short list of outstanding design questions where we'll get into more detail and move into open discussion with folks on the call.
  • http://publiclab.org/wiki/diy-indoor-air-quality-remediation-kit
Thanks and see you soon!
Liz

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!