Software crash on every browser, platform

Kai Brooks

Sep 8, 2014, 3:08:57 PM9/8/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
2.5 desktop kit
OSX Mavericks / OSX Yosemite public beta 2
Latest versions of Chrome 37.0.2062.94 (latest) / Firefox (latest)

  • Chrome freezes and crashes when the camera is selected
  • Firefox doesn't freeze, but it doesn't do anything either
  • Both work when the iSight is selected, so it's not the browser as much
  • Crashes in both Mavericks and Yosemite
  • OSX recognizes hardware as "USB 2.0 PC Camera (058f:3823)"
  • No discernible hardware / assembly problems (OSX recognizes it correctly)

It also doesn't work when assigned as the camera to FaceTime, or other OSX apps, the applications just hang when the camera is selected.

Ideas?

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 8, 2014, 3:12:47 PM9/8/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Kai - it sounds like you may have a defective camera. If you got it from a Public Lab Kit, email ki...@publiclab.org to see if they'll replace it. You might also check if other webcams work with Spectral Workbench, and if the spec camera works using Photo Booth.

Sorry you're having trouble!
Jeff

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

jmhe...@unca.edu

Oct 13, 2014, 11:57:54 AM10/13/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Kai---I am having similar issues with my 2.5 gumstick.  I am running an old version OS on mac, and it is not recognizing the cam.  Im going to troubleshoot it for a bit....I am new to the group, glad to see that others in the area are participating too!  looking forward to collaborating!

Liz Barry

Oct 13, 2014, 12:27:27 PM10/13/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-s...@googlegroups.com
Hey JMHerrin,
Good to see a UNC Ashevillian on this list. I"m copying plots-southeast as you may be interested in joining the regional group. Keep an eye out for Adam Griffith, an Asheville based organizer and one of the original PL team.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Jim Myers

Oct 13, 2014, 12:33:58 PM10/13/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Using OS X 10.9.5 and Chrome 38.0.2125.101 it's working just fine for me. Your version of Chrome is significantly outdated.

---
COML, Public Safety Communications Consultant, Interoperability Crusader, Engineer, and Slayer of Dragons (aka Proprietary Systems), KD7EIR