Revising the Oil Testing Kit docs

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 25, 2015, 6:25:06 PM6/25/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
I'm tackling this project in the next few days, and wanted to solicit input and assistance from anyone who's interested.

I'm currently planning things out here: https://github.com/publiclab/homebrew-sensing/issues/24

and my major tasks are:

* updating the spectrometer construction section to reflect Mathew L's work on the new Spectrometer 3.0 and Oil Testing Kit frame
* separating out info on the Oil Testing Kit project vs. the How-To section of the page
* integrating some discussion of the new Fellows program related to the Oil Testing Kit

Jeff

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 26, 2015, 1:00:28 PM6/26/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, stevie
I've made a table of contents at the top, and am probably separating out "theory/background" and "construction/assembly" into separate pages.

Looking good so far!

But lots of additional work to do. :-)

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 26, 2015, 1:01:31 PM6/26/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, stevie
I also promoted this wiki page to be a "tool" -- now viewable at: http://publiclab.org/tools

Liz Barry

Jun 26, 2015, 1:02:38 PM6/26/15
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, stevie
It's looking really good Jeff. I'm thinking i can just print this wiki out as a PDF and take it to the DEC meeting Monday night to talk with their community oil spill response team.
--
Post to this group at plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Jeffrey Warren

Jun 26, 2015, 1:06:55 PM6/26/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, stevie, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com

I still haven't gotten to updating the assembly instructions for the new kits, but will this afternoon.

Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Liz Barry

Jul 1, 2015, 10:34:45 AM7/1/15
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, stevie
Thank you for these beautiful updates! I printed out the wiki page in color, and the stapled packets were very well received at a NY Dept. Env. Conservation Oil Spill Response meeting on Monday night. I'll post a note.

Jeffrey Warren

Jul 1, 2015, 10:54:39 AM7/1/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, stevie
Super. I'm adding the long-requested "collapsible sections" feature to the wiki as well, so that we can have "dive deep" sections without burdening the overall page with overly dense content.

Liz Barry

Jul 1, 2015, 10:56:18 AM7/1/15
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, stevie
cool feature!

Jeffrey Warren

Jul 1, 2015, 11:56:08 AM7/1/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, stevie
I posted another revision, and also documentation on the new "foldaway" wiki feature, which I used: http://publiclab.org/wiki/authoring-help#Foldaways

Jeffrey Warren

Jul 1, 2015, 12:20:00 PM7/1/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, stevie
I've also added a "Status and Limitations" section where I discuss what we're NOT currently trying to do (copied below). We ought to have this kind of section for all our tools! Do other folks have questions or suggestions for this section?

Although our long-term goal is to create a kit capable of fingerprinting a specific oil and tying it to a specific polluter and pollution event, our most immediate goal is to identify the weight of an oil, in relation to a range of known samples, ranging from motor oil to different crude oils. We are increasingly confident in the kits ability to perform this more narrow task.

We do not currently attempt to use the kit to:

  • tell you the type of oil without comparing it to other known samples
  • compare data directly with data from other kits -- only from the same kit and experimental setup
  • measure oil directly in the field
  • make measurements with a smartphone (we're focusing on the desktop interface first)

That does not mean these are impossible, or that we're not interested in working on these challenges. But we are choosing to rigorously attempt to complete narrower, more focused challenges before moving on to more complex tests. One step at a time!

Stevie Lewis

Jul 6, 2015, 8:15:04 AM7/6/15
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Nice. I think maybe the phrase "not interested in working on these challenges" could be changed to something like "not in the scope of our current work."

Like the idea of this section being on all tool pages. It could help a lot with some of the questions we get, but we should continue to encourage people to experiment with them!

Jeffrey Warren

Jul 6, 2015, 9:54:10 AM7/6/15
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Stevie - the line is currently:

> That does not mean these are impossible, or that we're not interested in working on these challenges.

so could I just add "in the future" to the end? I'll go ahead -- I think that's what you mean, but pls correct me if I misunderstand.

Thanks!
Jeff

Stevie Lewis

Jul 6, 2015, 10:02:54 AM7/6/15