Re: [plots-waterquality] Glowing Tampons Help Detect Sewage Leaks

Liz Barry

Mar 31, 2015, 8:58:06 AM3/31/15
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
This is super interesting, Dan, thank you!
UV reveals bluing agents in detergents that should not be in the storm sewers of a separated sewage system.

Generally this connects to lots of spectra that we have captured on detergents: http://spectralworkbench.org/spectra/search?q=detergent

I would love to hear from more of the people who are working on detergents, but one I am already familiar is with the story of joshmc, who writes "we use cloth diapers for our kids and it's important to find detergent without any dyes or whiteners because that stuff will build up over time, so we've spent a good amount of time trying to find detergents without them. My wife was pretty impressed to see we could use this for a quick test of company's claims ;)"

and jeff's comparison of joshmc's measurements: http://spectralworkbench.org/sets/show/24

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Dan Beavers <dan.b...@acm.org> wrote:
This is interesting: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/glowing-tampons-help-detect-sewage-leaks/

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.