New to the group, some questions about DVD gratings, NIR ranges, and thingiverse.

Ray Oberg

Sep 5, 2014, 9:45:19 AM9/5/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  I'm wildly interested in this whole project, and have a few questions.

~ when I split a DVD-R for a grating, I am supposed to be using the transparent portion, correct?   Also, is there a good way to get the digital recording film off of the plastic?  Mine is all clingy.

~  I understand that the public lab projects are working over a range of 400 - 900 nm.  I'm imagining that this is because the sensors are all silicon, which die out at around 1100 NM or so.  Is anyone out there fiddling around with this design and lead sulfide sensors?

~  I went to thingverse, and there were some great files for the phone mounted system, such as THIS ONE.  I also have a kit for the public lab desktop system, and I think that an ABS piece for the slit support (the paper part at the front of the system) would be helpful, with a rounded section on the front to hold the whole thing more firmly in place.  Has anyone done this?  I'll be happy to do it, but I don't want to duplicate efort, and frankly my freecad-fu is not the best out there by a long shot.

~  Am I in the right place?  I followed a link from one of the guys at the public labs FB page, but I don't want to hassle people working on a wholly different project.

Thanks
Ray

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 8, 2014, 1:35:18 PM9/8/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Ray--
yes, use the transparent section.  What do you mean "recording film? is that the reflective film?  can you send a photo?

I haven't seen anyone fool with lead sulfide sensors, but a few people are building with custom linear CCDs, and those designs should be adaptable to a lead sulfide sensor.  http://publiclab.org/notes/flatCat/08-29-2014/ramanpi-the-3d-printable-raspberry-pi-raman-spectrometer

I don't htink anyone has made a separate slit support for the mobile version-- please! take that on if its of interest.

all the best,
Mathew

--
Post to this group at plots-sp...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.

Ray Oberg

Sep 9, 2014, 9:40:46 AM9/9/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Sure can.  Behold my awesome MSpaint skills.  I split the DVD into two diss, and some sections have the recording film attached.  Should I be using a clear filter, or one with the shiny film (the actual storage media) on it.  Does the plastic have the grooves that are being used for the spectrometer, or are they on the media?

Thanks.  I'll touch base with you when I have the slot holder ready, along with some dimensions.  I will try to match the slot thickness as well as I can, since I expect that's important.  Do you have proper dimensions and pleacement for the slit, or of someone who would?  I'm working with a cheap set of calipers.

Thanks for all your help.
Ray

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "plots-spectrometry" group.
split disk.jpg

Natalie Mayorga

Sep 9, 2014, 10:22:36 AM9/9/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
You'll want to use the clear filter. Not the side with the foil information stored. If you hold the clear up to a light source you can see the diffraction through it. I doubt any light gets through the foil part.

Sent from my iPhone
<split disk.jpg>

Helton Jader Souza de Oliveira

Sep 29, 2014, 5:06:15 PM9/29/14
to plots-spe...@googlegroups.com
Good night;

I'm curious to read something about spectrometer / spectrophotometer DVD in cell vi speak and found it interesting you do not know where to find any articles not and no website that I find on the graphs absorption of some substances.

thank