Fwd: [PLOTS] Fwd: Citizen science session at NENHC 2014

Jeffrey Warren

Feb 12, 2014, 3:28:22 PM2/12/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, plots-pr...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ned Horning <ne...@lightlink.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Subject: [PLOTS] Fwd: Citizen science session at NENHC 2014
To: publicla...@googlegroups.com

In case anyone is interested...

Ned
-----

Dear colleagues,

At the 2014 North Eastern Natural History Conference (April 8-9, Springfield, MA) we are organizing a session on citizen science. In this cross-disciplinary session we would like to bring together scientists, educators, naturalists, and participants in citizen science projects to stimulate discussion of exciting new results, challenges, and future directions of citizen science and its potential to change science as we know it. [The full conference abstract is provided below].

Abstracts can be submitted no later than March 1 (details : http://www.eaglehill.us/NENHC_2014/callforabstracts.shtml).

We encourage you all to circulate this message to fellow collaborators who might be interested in this session.

Kind regards,
Koen Hufkens, Min Chen

---

New life for an old practice: Citizen Science in the digital age.
(cross-practice)

Citizen science, with strong roots in natural history, has the potential to change science as we know it. With the advent of cheap “off the shelf” sensors and easy collaboration through Internet platforms, the potential of citizens to contribute to a wide range of research fields has grown exponentially. For example, the zooniverse (https://www.zooniverse.org/) platform has brought together people from all over the world to contribute to science. From improving weather model predictions by classifying tropical cyclone data, to mapping home ranges and species competition of large mammals and predators in the Serengeti citizen scientists are getting involved in just about everything, just about everywhere.  Other initiatives such as the national phenology network (https://www.usanpn.org/) rely on citizen contributions of “back yard observations” of life cycle events of both plants and animals to track environmental change.

--
Dr. Koen Hufkens

Harvard University
Department of Organismic & Evolutionary Biology
Richardson Lab
~
Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Isotope Bioscience Laboratory

***

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.