CWQT Week 12--results

Rob Buchanan

Aug 4, 2017, 7:44:28 PM8/4/17
to nycwta steering committee, Nancy Brous, Nina Zain, Elisa Caref, Sebastian Pillitteri, Dan Shapley, Jennifer Epstein

A pretty bad week results-wise, with Van Cortlandt Park Lake and the East Branch site in Newtown Creek duking it out for highest MPN. And it would have been worse if we'd been able to sample at all of our sites (lots of people on vacation). What is amazing is that there was very little rainfall recorded at the three main NYC weather stations on Wednesday. Central Park had had .09 inches, LaGuardia had .08 inches, and JFK a measly .01. But Newark recorded .99 inches and where I was, on Governors Island, it also poured. This really highlights the need for more localized rainfall data, not just for us but also for the government agencies who base their advisories on 'modeling.'

Our all-sites table is here

Individual site results are available on our map interface here.

Weekly slide show (nobody sent any shots this week so here's what's on my phone):

Inline image 1

The Wednesday superstorm as it bore down on a trembling Gotham

Inline image 2

The official weather stations got squat, but Brooklyn took a bath (this is under the BQE in Fort Greene)

Inline image 3

Not about CSOs! John Orgera atop the new floating oyster platform in Bushwick Inlet, a collaborative effort of the Friends of Bushwick Inlet Park, the North Brooklyn Boat Club, and the Billion Oyster Project.

That's it for this week--please let us know if any questions or if you'd like to unsubscribe.

--Rob for the CWQT Team