CWQT week 15--results

1 view

Rob Buchanan

Aug 26, 2016, 6:35:44 PM8/26/16
to Nina Zain, Elisa Caref, nycwta steering committee
No significant precipitation for the last four days--so all good, right? Not at our newest site, on Coney Island Creek, which registered an alarmingly high "most probable number" of 1785. See below for more information.

The all-sites spreadsheet is here.

Individual site results are available on our map interface here.

Photos of the week:

Inline image 7
New volunteer: Richard Rivera, a student at Kingsborough Community College, sampling at West 20th Street on Coney Island Creek.

Inline image 2
Illumination = contamination: The River Project's head educator Eli Caref, left, and Lab Chief Nina Zain using a black light to count illuminated wells on IDEXX Quanti-trays, ice-tray-like contraptions that we use to estimate amounts of Enterococcus, a reliable fecal-indicator bacterium.
.
Inline image 3
Where would you rather swim? Coney Island Creek sample on the left, Pier 40 sample on the right.
.

Inline image 5
Young volunteer: Amy John's son Alpheus helping out at Bushwick Inlet Park on the East River.

Inline image 6
Big stink in Raritan Bay: low dissolved oxygen levels led to a pair of massive fish kills earlier this week. More details here, along with a statement from NY-NJ Baykeeper.