CWQT Week 16--results

Rob Buchanan

Sep 2, 2016, 6:14:33 PM9/2/16
to Nina Zain, Elisa Caref, nycwta steering committee
A significant amount of rain yesterday (.5 inches in Central Park), though most of it fell after our samples were taken. Nevertheless you can see from a glance at the all sites table that it had an impact, particularly in the Flushing Creek/Flushing Bay system.

The all-sites spreadsheet is here.

Individual site results are available on our map interface here.

NEWS AND UPDATES:

This week we expanded our sampling sites on Coney Island Creek thanks to two new volunteers, Pamela Pettyjohn and Ted Enoch, pictured below, and to our partners in Brett Branco's lab at Brooklyn College.

Inline image 6
Inline image 2

Here's a closeup of the three new sites--we've got it surrounded!

Inline image 5

And here's a shot from Ted of a typical beachscape on the creek--it would seem a few cleanups lie ahead.

Inline image 3

Finally, in the biggest water quality news of the week, Nina Zain, The River Project's lab chief, head of their internship program, and co-founder of the Citizens Water Quality Testing Program, is getting married tomorrow. (Next to Nina, wearing the glasses, is Eli Caref, who will take over in the lab next week while Nina is honeymooning). Please join us in congratulating Nina and wishing her well!

Inline image 4