Fun interactive poll about YOUR environmental interests

Liz Barry

Aug 16, 2016, 6:38:32 PM8/16/16
Hi there,

We are testing out a new, bouncy way for people to share their points of view, in this case, about what environmental topics resonate with your concerns and interests.

Directly try it out: https://pol.is/7xtt2tcwjf, or keep reading to see how it works --

You can click agree, disagree, or pass on statements:

Inline image 1

...and see opinion clusters form in real time (yes, my profile pic is in there because i created the poll, but I set participation to "anonymous" so you don't need to log in, and your profile pic won't show up):

Inline image 2

If you don't see the topic you want, type in your own, and it will be shown to others to vote on!

Inline image 3

That's it!

--

The slightly longer story is that the non-profit organization part of Public Lab is currently working on getting some focus areas together for the non-profit strategic plan (2016-2019). While we have the Open Air, Open Water, and Open Land initiatives, we're also thinking about developing a few environmental focus areas that we hope to dedicate time (and hopefully funding!) to support civic science projects around.

We know we're committed to the topics around Oil and Gas because, well ... Public Lab's history, and we've already got funding for it (Wo0t!). But the others are open. So think about what's on Public Lab, what topics could use some solid support and what we want to see developed out in the next couple years... Let the brainstorm begin!!

Thank you!

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

Aug 17, 2016, 8:33:08 AM8/17/16
Hi folks,
Great to see the participation and new topics added in -- there's lots to learn about each other and our interests.
It works great on mobile so give it a click before lunch if possible.

Liz Barry

Liz Barry

Sep 21, 2016, 12:38:40 PM9/21/16
to L...@publiclab.org
Hi everyone,
This was a fun little experiment to let run for the past month!

Here's the raw numbers as of this morning exported for you, but please notice a few things:
  • The poll itself remains the best place to see the visual clustering of who agrees with what (How to navigate this? Well, we had three distinct opinion clusters. Click a cluster, then click through the listed statements to see which were most divisive -- watch the red vs green bands change across all groups simultaneously): https://pol.is/7xtt2tcwjf
  • Below, I sorted the statements by % agreement, but please notice the number of voters on each question because it varies widely, mostly because new statements were being added at later points in time.
  • the original 5 topics that i "seeded" the poll with are shown in bold.
  • The poll will remain open, just kind of hanging out to see if anything else interesting happens.

comment-body # agrees # disagrees % agree # of voters
Drinking water quality 39 0 100.0 39
Fracking - Air Quality - Methane and VOCs 15 0 100.0 15
Fracking chemicals-"Produced water" 12 0 100.0 12
Soil Health 5 0 100.0 5
Industrial Waste 40 1 97.6 41
Oil and Gas 41 2 95.3 43
75% (or better) Recycling - a MUST for a sustainable future 15 1 93.8 16
Uncontrolled development in floodplains and wetlands 13 1 92.9 14
Wastewater Reuse & Recovery 25 2 92.6 27
fracking 36 3 92.3 39
Waste, especially landfills near homes 29 3 90.6 32
Big problem: Corporate ownership of Government agencies/people 9 1 90.0 10
Landfills 35 4 89.7 39
Pesticide residues/water,soil,food,air 25 3 89.3 28
biocapacity and ecological footprints 8 1 88.9 9
oil and gas infrastructure and waste pits and salt scars and canals 25 4 86.2 29
Animal abuse in agribusiness 11 2 84.6 13
Open burning of toxic munitions and other materials 11 2 84.6 13
urban planning 11 2 84.6 13
Agriculture 36 7 83.7 43
School building problems: PCB's, cleaning products, air quality. 16 4 80.0 20
Coal Waste Products (e.g. coal ash, pet coke) 28 8 77.8 36
Litter / Urban Blight 24 7 77.4 31
Indoor Air Quality 30 9 76.9 39
Deep well injection of toxic materials (Not good!) 10 3 76.9 13
Urban/near highway Air Quality 15 5 75.0 20
Eutrophication 19 7 73.1 26
Food Safe 8 3 72.7 11
Radiation in drinking water 7 3 70.0 10
Tier 1C brownfield monitoring 7 4 63.6 11
Stream Salination (Road Salt) 15 10 60.0 25
defining thresholds to planetary boundaries 2 6 25.0 8