Smartphones and Infragram

kaplana

Sep 15, 2015, 6:22:15 PM9/15/15
to plots-infrared
I just came across the infragram.org website and it piqued my interest.

Is there any good info describing how smartphones can be utilized with infragram?  I saw the posting about the potential of converting a Nexus phone.  However, I am interested in something a little more general, i.e., a solution that would work with most mobile platforms.

For example, does anyone have experience / success connecting an external camera with a smarthphone (e.g., the AdaFruit Infragram DIY Plant Analysis Webcam)?

I appreciate any ideas / suggestions.

Thanks,

Alan

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 16, 2015, 9:32:57 AM9/16/15
to kaplana, plots-infrared
Hi -- many Android phones have USB host mode, meaning you can connect USB devices like keyboards and webcams. But none that I know of have webcam drivers. It's unclear if android browsers would recognize video devices even if they did, although that's not strictly required for Infragram, if you just upload instead of doing live conversion.

I wonder if you had a Raspberry Pi with a webcam attached, and made it stream the video over a PeerConnect connection in WebRTC -- we should be able to receive that in theory in Infragram.org. But it's a pretty big coding project to get something like that working.

Sorry there's not an easier answer! It would be super great to do.

There are some apps that connect to external webcams, but some need root access, and I tried a couple and couldn't get them to work. You could try them out for taking a webcam picture, then uploading it to Infragram.org?

Jeff

--
Post to this group at plots-i...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-infrared" group.

kaplana

Sep 16, 2015, 2:40:23 PM9/16/15
to plots-infrared, kap...@ieee.org, je...@publiclab.org
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info!

I think being able to upload would be sufficient.  But the issue is can, or how easy it, for an Android device to access an infragram-capable camera.

I will continue to investigate, but if anyone has ideas, I would appreciate the info.

Best,

Alan

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 16, 2015, 4:35:22 PM9/16/15
to kaplana, plots-infrared, Jeffrey Warren
For some reason, the UVC kernel module for android is not included in default installs.  I know some people have done custom installs on rooted devices, I have no idea of the difficulty of that.

there is this project to make UVC webcams work without rooting a device.  I have no experience trying it out: