Re: [PLOTS] Infragram IR camera and Raspberry Pi

Stevie Lewis

Mar 12, 2015, 3:46:42 PM3/12/15
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com
Great questions Bradley, I'm looping in the public lab infrared group who might be able to help!
-Stevie

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Bradley Nelson <taga...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm new to this awesome camera - I see potential, but I'm stuck on getting started.

I've taken some pictures with it using a raspberry pi. I uploaded them to the infragram site, but couldn't get them to look awesome like the ones on the website. They are just dominated by one color or another. Can't figure out how to get all the variation and detail.

Also, if my understanding is correct, the infragram website can be used for image processing or it can be done locally using OpenCV and the python code examples. Is that correct?  Has anyone here successfully set up a Raspberry Pi to take images and process them.

What I'm trying to do is set up my Pi to take an image at a given interval, process it, and then upload it to a server.

Any direction on anything I posted would be much appreciated. Thanks

--
Post to this group at publicla...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 18, 2015, 5:09:35 PM3/18/15
to plots-i...@googlegroups.com
We've long wanted to implement "infragrammar" (http://publiclab.org/wiki/infragram-sandbox) in the older Python scripts:

On Mar 14, 2015 3:16 PM, "Gerald McCollam" <gmcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will opencv and those python scripts do the same image processing as the infragram.org site.  Or does that site have an API that can be accessed by a script to upload images and process?

As far as I know infragram.org does not have an API call that will allow you to upload or process images from a script. It looks like the python functions you've mentioned do support NDVI and DVI processing of images created with the Infragram webcam without using infragram.org. I've not tried those but I've used OpenCV for spectral imaging and it works great. Whether or not those scripts work for any old USB webcam I don't know.

... had some installation errors I wasn't able to troubleshoot. Wasn't able to run any of the python scripts.

Installing OpenCV on a Mac used to work with 'brew install opencv' but it seems broken now on Mavericks and Yosemite. Not sure what OS you're running. To avoid all that you might try Enthought's Canopy distribution or Continuum Analytics' Anaconda I know Canopy includes OpenCV in an one-click install, not sure about Anaconda. Each has fairly liberal licensing terms, especially if you have an academic affiliation.

-g

--
Gerald McCollam