mailing list dynamics...

Liz Barry

Jul 13, 2017, 5:11:18 PM7/13/17
to plot...@googlegroups.com, Benj. N. Sugar
Hi folks,
just a quick message to say i'm getting into list dynamics -- how many messages did our main lists have in 2016, how many were discussions (more than a single post in a thread) and how many people were involved in the longest of those?

only 4 lists so far in this stub spreadsheet that i'm making by copying off text displayed on each googlegroup's page, then searching for "discussion" "posts" and doing some quick manual counts:

wondering what this could eventually look like.

In another thread Sebastian shared his Jupyter mailing list analysis project (on top of a forked mailman scrapper) -- it displays mail sender frequency by month in its current form:

https://github.com/icarito/mailman-archive-scraper/blob/master/Mailing%20List%20Analysis.ipynb

Maybe it can be turned into something more and fed google groups data?

the code seems discontinued though...https://github.com/seamustuohy/openThreads

thanks for reading, thoughts welcome.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Sebastian Silva

Jul 23, 2017, 10:56:41 PM7/23/17
to Liz Barry, plot...@googlegroups.com, Benj. N. Sugar

Hi Liz,

I had bookmarked this library to use for analyzing our group, https://pypi.python.org/pypi/googlegroupexporter/1.0

Perhaps it could be used for your intended analysis or otherwise!

I could help set it up.

Regards,

Sebastian

Benjamin N. Sugar

Jul 24, 2017, 10:26:11 AM7/24/17
to Sebastian Silva, Liz Barry, plot...@googlegroups.com
Oh.

Your.

God.

This is incredible.

I knew procrastinating on building something like this was the right thing to do!

THANK YOU!!!!

Benjamin Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 1:40:27 AM7/25/17
to plots-dev, seba...@fuentelibre.org, l...@publiclab.org, bsu...@crld.in
It works exactly as described!!!!

Sebastian, I cannot thank you enough.  This is incredible.

I have no idea how I missed this, in fact there's another one which is not as simple:  https://github.com/icy/google-group-crawler

Crazy!

Anyway.

The main issue for me has always been that the threads are "lazily loaded" instead of paginated but the package you sent loads them one hundred at a time.  I wrote the author to see how they worked around that.

See attached for just a tiny taste of the goodness to come!!

Also.

Liz, can you tell everyone in public lab to not use the lists for about a month?  It's sort of like taking a picture with an old timey camera.  Nobody can move while the film is being developed.

(Jk jk).

Seriously though.  No body move!

plots-dev.csv

Benjamin Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 3:04:45 AM7/25/17
to plots-dev, seba...@fuentelibre.org, l...@publiclab.org, bsu...@crld.in
PS: Sebastian, what is your PL username?

Benjamin Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 4:00:39 AM7/25/17
to plots-dev, seba...@fuentelibre.org, l...@publiclab.org, bsu...@crld.in
With dedication to Liz Barry's support low these many years: https://publiclab.org/notes/bsugar/07-25-2017/exporting-googlegroups

Benjamin Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 4:02:31 AM7/25/17
to plots-dev, seba...@fuentelibre.org, l...@publiclab.org, bsu...@crld.in
That is, for her support, not dedicated to the support itself.

Sebastian Silva

Jul 25, 2017, 11:37:51 AM7/25/17
to Benjamin Sugar, plots-dev, l...@publiclab.org, bsu...@crld.in
I'm delighted you found my reference useful. My username in general is
"icarito", also on PublicLab.

Happy to see you make progress with it. I'll give feedback on the page.

Regards,

Sebastian

Liz Barry

Jul 25, 2017, 2:26:53 PM7/25/17
to Sebastian Silva, Benjamin Sugar, plots-dev, l...@publiclab.org, Benj. N. Sugar
Would you all like to join the Open Call in half an hour?
3pm Eastern Time
I'd love to hear directly from you guys about all this :D

https://zoom.us/j/415220636
Sorry it's not open source Sebastian! We are continually striving for improvement!

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Benj. N. Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 2:31:39 PM7/25/17
to Liz Barry, Sebastian Silva, plots-dev
If I can get the app to work on my phone, sure why not!

Liz Barry

Jul 25, 2017, 2:32:28 PM7/25/17
to Benj. N. Sugar, Liz Barry, Sebastian Silva, plots-dev
Great! The Zoom link does in general work on phones, but if you have any trouble, just dial in
+1 408 638 0968 | Meeting ID: 415 220 636

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Benj. N. Sugar

Jul 25, 2017, 2:33:08 PM7/25/17
to Liz Barry, Sebastian Silva, plots-dev
Oh sweet.

Easy enough!

Liz Barry

Jul 25, 2017, 2:35:41 PM7/25/17
to Benj. N. Sugar, Liz Barry, Sebastian Silva, plots-dev
And we keep notes here: http://pad.publiclab.org/p/opencall

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Sebastian Silva

Jul 25, 2017, 2:52:31 PM7/25/17
to Liz Barry, Benjamin Sugar, plots-dev, Benj. N. Sugar

Hi Liz,

A few minutes ago we lost power so I'm on a cellular link right now. I have looked at the notes and see you have posted my question and Gretchen an answer! Thank you! I will update it.

Frankly my connection isn't good for participating this time around , and also I have uninstalled Zoom, because I'm really striving to be consequent with my principles on this topic, sorry. Maybe we'll get there soon with a libre alternative.

But I will keep an eye on the notes pad and #publiclab chat.

Also, please count on me for any action regarding our sequestered mailing list,

Regards,

Sebastian