Fwd: FOSSASIA Summit 2018 Call for Speakers, #CodeHeat Coding Contest and more

Jeffrey Warren

Oct 23, 2017, 5:33:08 PM10/23/17
to plot...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hong Phuc & Mario | FOSSASIA <in...@fossasia.org>
Date: Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 8:43 AM
Subject: FOSSASIA Summit 2018 Call for Speakers, #CodeHeat Coding Contest and more
To: je...@publiclab.org

FOSSASIA Summit and #CodeHeat

Join the FOSSASIA OpenTechSummit 2018 and build up your developer profile in the #CodeHeat Coding Contest!

Hello FOSSASIA friend,

we are excited to announce the FOSSASIA Summit 2018. It will take place from March 23rd - 25th in Singapore. The theme of 2018 is "Towards the Open Conversational Web".

We have a fantastic location for 2018 with the Lifelong Learning Institute and we are happy to welcome a number of new people on the FOSSASIA Summit organization team with fresh ideas.

After the 2017 summit we received a lot of great feedback and many projects and companies got new developers on board at the event. You can see videos of talks on our YouTube channel and a wrap up with more details below.

A few more updates:

1. We have started the second edition of our CodeHeat Coding Contest. Contributors can join at any time and win awesome prizes. Grand Prize Winners will travel to the FOSSASIA Summit. Please sign up here and start contributing to projects!

2. FOSSASIA now has more than 1800 developers registered on GitHub and a number of new applications have been released after the outstanding work of students during Google Summer of Code. Thank you, it was an amazing summer! Please check out the Phimp.me app and our SUSI.AI Alpha release for example and follow us on Twitter for more updates.

All the best,

- Hong Phuc & Mario

"In the Heat of the Code" Coding Contest

CodeHeat is a coding contest to involve new contributors in FOSSASIA Open Source projects. The contest runs until 1st February 2018. Grand prize winners will travel to Singapore and present their work at the FOSSASIA Summit

The jury will choose three winners from the top 10 contributors according to code quality and relevance of commits for the project. It also takes other contributions like submitted scrum reports and technical blog posts into account, but of course awesome code is the most important item on the list. Other participants will have the chance to win Tshirts, Swag and vouchers to attend Open Tech events in the region and will get certificates of participation. Sign up here now and become a member on GitHub.

If you make at least four commits before 31st October you can also win a Hacktoberfest T-shirt (if issues are labeled "Hacktoberfest").

FOSSASIA Summit '17 - Wrap Up

Hong Phuc Dang, Mario Behling, Harish PillayRoland Turner and Daniel Blueman were leading the organization efforts for the 2017 summit supported by a fantastic team and many volunteers.

Over three event days 3,145 people attended the event including 229 speakers and 60 volunteers. 41 nationalities participated in the summit: 70.8% from Singapore, followed by India, Indonesia, Germany, China, Japan, Vietnam and many others. There were 23.6% female attendees. 60% of attendees were IT professionals. 5 keynotes, 231 scheduled sessions, 22 lightning talks, and over 30 projects and companies presented their work in the exhibition. Talks are available on our YouTube channel and hundreds of photos have been uploaded to social networks. Thanks to @comprock for bringing a great photographer team together! 2000+ tweets with the FOSSASIA hashtag were posted during the event.

A session analysis of FOSSASIA shows that AI technologies and Conversational Interfaces are receiving increased attention.

We would like to thank our host venue the Science Center Singapore, with a wonderful team that has offered an outstanding support to the community, especially our partners and sponsors Daimler, Google Cloud, and Microsoft as well as MySQL, PostgreSQL gandi.net for their support and participation. Read more about the event on our blog.

Blog Posts by Attendees

Throwback to FOSS Asia 2017, Credativ

FOSSASIA - A wonderful Experience, Pooja Yadav

Speaking at FOSSASIA 2017, Santosh Viswanatham

Team Reactives at FOSSASIA!, Rails Girls, Shwetha from Team Reactives

Ten ways in which FOSSASIA ’17 helped me grow, Nisha Yadav

FOSSASIA 2017, Edwin Zakaria

Speaking at FOSSASIA’17 | Seasons of Debian : Summer of Code & Winter of Outreachy, urvikagola

FOSSASIA Summit Singapore and Codeheat, Rishi Raj

FOSSASIA with SE Linux, Jason Zaman

Lessons from {distributed,remote,virtual} communities and companies, Colin Charles

Get ready for FOSSASIA Summit 2017!, Andrey Terekhov

In The Heat of Code: A Mentor's POV, Saptak Sengupta

Upcoming Activities

Please join us at these upcoming events:

Jaipur, India: FOSSASIA Meetup at LNM Institute of Information Technology - Jaipur, October 25, 2017

Singapore, ITE College: FOSSASIA Keynote Address at Future in Making, November 17, 2017

Hanoi, Vietnam: DevFest Hanoi, November 18, 2017

Hanoi: Vietnam Internet Forum with a Presentation on Open Source and Collaboration at FOSSASIA, November 27, 2017

Leipzig, Germany: FOSSASIA Gathering at CCC, December 27-30, 2017

Brussels, Belgium: FOSSASIA Dinner Event at Fosdem, February 3, 2018

Singapore: FOSSASIA Summit, March 23-25, 2018

Suzhou China: FOSSASIA OpenTechSummit China, April 20/21, 2018

Berlin, Germany: Meet us at OpenTechSummit Europe, May 10, 2018

FOSSASIA 2016 Singapore Science Center

FOSSASIA
23-25 March 2018
Singapore
OpenTechSummit

More info on the FOSSASIA 2018 Summit at the Event Website

Read about our activities on the FOSSASIA Blog.

Follow us on Twitter.

Talk to us on Gitter.

Become a friend on Github.

Github  LinkedIn Flickr Facebook Google+YouTube Twitter

Creative Commons License Email licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License. 2017 FOSSASIA

This email was sent to je...@publiclab.org. You indicated to the FOSSASIA team, that you are interested in receiving updates on our activities or you signed up for this list on our website at fossasia.org.

Our mailing address is:

FOSSASIA
6 Eu Tong Sen Street
#05-07 The Central