Volunteers for spectrometer boxing this Friday

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 4, 2012, 5:09:15 PM12/4/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday (if all goes well, fingers crossed!) all of the parts for our Desktop Spectrometry Kits will have arrived at the pirateship (440 Somerville Ave) and will be ready to be boxed and shipped out.

If anyone is willing to volunteer to help pack and ship these, that would be   amazing! We're offering:

- free pizza and other food/beverages all day
- good cheer and music
- free spectrometer kits for everyone

We'll get started around 11am and go through 6pm. Just email me back if you're willing!

Highlights:

- chopping 300 DVDs into quarters with a guillotine-style slicer
- lots of stickers
- fort-stacking 1500 boxes (great for Minecraft fans)

Jeff

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 7, 2012, 10:37:17 AM12/7/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for responding! I'm just getting started here today, setting up stations and such. I think today we will do 10-6 and I really appreciate people's willingness to come in later, but perhaps we'll do an evening assembly party with some beers and food next week after the webcams arrive and we do the final steps. Today will be mostly stickering and DVD-chopping & bagging.

Again, i'm at 415 508 6769 if you arrive and want to get in at 440 somerville ave.

Jeff

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 7, 2012, 7:47:09 PM12/7/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to EVERYONE!!! You were fantastic. With help from Kaya, Sara, Ray, Bryan, Tommy, Ben, and Danger Awesome, we:

- bagged 400 DVD shards
- stickered and repacked 800 conduit boxes (maybe more?)
- stickered 300 cardboard boxes
- lasercut 1200 black paper inserts

We will likely be setting up a time next week to keep going, but this is some amazing progress. Thanks again and don't have nightmares of conduit boxes or DVD fragments.

BTW, we just found out that we have been featured in Popular Mechanics this month for our work on open source spectrometry. Great work everyone!

Jeff

Will Ward

Dec 11, 2012, 10:55:37 AM12/11/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com

Jeff,
Count me in for the next assembly party.
When are the webcams expected arrival?
Will

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 11, 2012, 11:04:04 AM12/11/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
I am finding out today i hope. Negotiations with this company are awful. They *could* arrive by friday, but I don't relish the idea of a weekend final packing. If we pack and ship on Monday the 17th, they have only 6 days to arrive by Xmas. So I am trying to get them by friday.

Thanks Will! Announcement soon.

Will Ward

Dec 13, 2012, 7:45:04 PM12/13/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com

Jeff,
I can help whenever & may be able to recruit some extra help over the weekend if needed.
Hope you hear some good news on logistics.
Will

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 13, 2012, 8:37:56 PM12/13/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will & all -- we are closely tracking a FedEx shipment of webcams from China arriving at Kendall Square at 10:30 AM tomorrow. If all goes well, we will be doing final packing and postage starting at noon and going through at least 6pm. We'd LOVE some help; please ring me at 415 508 6769 if you are able to join us at 440 Somerville ave. We'll have pizza and drinks.

See the boxes that we'll be filling: http://flickr.com/photos/jeffreywarren/8264442561/

Jeff

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 14, 2012, 10:49:27 AM12/14/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
10:30 has passed, but the package is supposedly still en-route TO the local 02139 delivery station. I have email alerts set up and will update y'all as soon as I know more.

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 14, 2012, 1:23:33 PM12/14/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, st...@publiclaboratory.org

900 (5 of 12 boxes) just arrived. Packing party is ON!

IMG_20121214_131720.jpg

Glorianna Davenport

Dec 14, 2012, 5:34:21 PM12/14/12
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Good luck.  Sorry I cannot come over today. G
Glorianna Davenport
Trustee, Tidmarsh Farms, Inc.
Visiting Scientist, MIT Media Lab
http:tidmarshfarms.com