Fwd: [berkmaniacs-1617] DataRescue Boston at Northeastern on Friday 3/24

Shannon Dosemagen

Mar 13, 2017, 6:07:17 PM3/13/17
to plots-...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM
Subject: DataRescue Boston at Northeastern on Friday 3/24

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/datarescue-boston-at-northeastern-tickets-32595107845

Description

#DataRescue for Climate Learning and Action

Contributing to and building on the national DataRescue movement, join Northeastern University Libraries, DataRescue Boston, Boston Civic Media and EDGI to work on projects ranging from archiving federal environment data, to making media campaigns for scientist marches. DataRescue Boston events are an opportunity for civic hackers, scientists, activists, and volunteers of all kinds to identify, back-up, and help preserve at-risk federal data resources in the public interest, in case they are suppressed from public view and use. At this event we will also be developing web-monitoring and data visualization tools as well as media campaigns for science marches.

The current administration has demonstrated an attitude of climate change denial and antagonism toward the scientists, researchers, and civil servants who study and communicate it. We seek to protect vital scientific resources from suppression—archiving them in multiple, redundant repositories so they may be accessed and reused in case they are removed from federal government websites.

Attendees will receive details and information packets via email prior to the event, which will also be accessible on our website.

Date/Time: Friday March 24th, 2017, 2:00-5:30pm

Location: 360 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, Northeastern University, Room 90 in the Snell Library

RSVP and up-to-date information: Please note that due to capacity issues, RSVPs are required.

Bring: Laptops. Food and drinks provided

Folks of all backgrounds and skill levels are welcome to join. We’re calling on all scientists, data nerds, artists, journalists, librarian, programmers, engineers, advocates, educators, policy-makers and more to imagine alternative forms of climate governance.

Track Overviews:

Surveying: Surveyors research federal departments and affiliated agencies and programs to map the departments. Participants will be supported by volunteer coordinators to write agency primers.

Seeding: Seeders build off of primers written by the Surveys to systematically explore through all websites associated with a federal department.

Harvesting: In partnership with domain and technical experts, harvesters will take the web pages classified by seeders as needing special attention, and figure out ways to download and compile that data.

Bagging: In this track, participants will ensure that the datasets are reasonably complete with appropriate metadata and context. The reviewed datasets will be uploaded to the appropriate live destination repositories.

Storytelling: In addition to documenting the event and communicating stories of it, the storytelling and sign-making tracks, will be addressing some of these additional questions:

  • What are the best ways to safeguard environmental data?

  • What art and messaging compels the public to care about environmental stewardship and unifies climate protectors?

  • How do government priorities impact data’s accessibility?

  • How might we enable new forms of participatory storytelling on the impact of the environment?

  • Which projects and research fields depend on federal data?

  • Which data sets are of value to research and local communities, and why?

Agenda:

2pm - Doors open for pre-orientation for breakout leaders

2:30pm - Opening Remarks

3:00pm - Breakouts

5:00pm - Closing Remarks and Sharebacks

About EDGI

The Environmental Data & Governance Initiative (EDGI) is an international network that leverages research and online tools to track and respond to the undermining of evidence-based environmental governance in the United States. Collaborating with partner DataRefuge, we are organizing and supporting #DataRescue events in cities across the country.

As we’ve witnessed with the new administration, there are massive changes to environmental policy and the scientific and evidence-based work that has long been supported.

This project brings together an international network of social and natural scientists, lawyers, and other information and environmental professionals that compose the diverse range of skills needed to document and advocate for the vital important of evidence-based environmental policy.

About Boston Civic Media

Boston Civic Media is a faculty-led network that aims to advance the transdisciplinary domain of civic media research and pedagogy in the Greater Boston Area. This initiative shares knowledge, promotes engaged research, and builds relationships among academics, non-profits, community-based organizations, government leaders, practitioners, and students. Our faculty steering members come from more than ten different institutions across Boston. Higher education institutions and numerous community partner organizations are linked through our syllabi directory and quarterly convenings. We offer support to this budding network through project as well as event coordination. This initiative is housed at the Emerson Engagement Lab and led by professors Catherine D’Ignazio, Eric Gordon and Paul Mihailidis with coordination from Becky Michelson. It is made possible by the Teagle Foundation and Microsoft Civic Engagement.

About SSEHRI

The mission of the Social Science Environmental Health Research Institute (SSEHRI) is to conduct social science-oriented research, teaching, community engagement, and policy work in the area of environmental health. With 4 core faculty, affiliated faculty at Northeastern and other area universities, 2 postdocs, 12 graduate students, and 2 undergraduates, SSEHRI is a hub for collaborative environmental health learning and interest at NU. The Institute trains graduate students and postdocs for community based participatory research aimed at transforming and improving environmental health. At the same time, it provides faculty with a resource to further their existing efforts in those approaches. Integrating environmental health science, sociology, science and technology studies, and community organizations, SSEHRI aims to develop novel approaches to studying environmental health questions, communication of environmental health data and conceptualization of environmental health socially, politically, and scientifically. SSEHRI has multiple grants from NIEHS, EPA, NIH, NSF, and the JPB Foundation.

About the Internet Archive

The Internet Archive is a San Francisco-based nonprofit digital library which aims at preserving and making universally accessible knowledge. Its End of Term web archive captures and saves U.S. Government websites that are at risk of changing or disappearing altogether during government transitions. The Internet Archive has asked volunteers to help select and organize information that will be preserved before the Trump transition.

--
@sdosemagen

Catherine D'Ignazio

Mar 13, 2017, 6:28:42 PM3/13/17
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Please come! Organized by myself, Sara W, and others. We are actually going to be making protest signs for the science march as well...
--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 16, 2017, 12:48:45 PM3/16/17
to plots-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, sounds really exciting!

If you'd like to come pitch this or distribute flyers at the SERC on Saturday, it'd be very welcome! Or if you have flyers, we could print them and have them available there.

Thanks!!!

Jeff